Which V Brakes?

I obtained a set of Machine Tech Vs from Jez. They look very nice but haven't tested the performance as yet.

I run pauls motolite V brakes, they work fine. Easy to set up, you can adjust toe-in and height independantly from the brake pad set-up. Only complaint would be that they squeek a little but when they're toed in its usually sorted and might be nothing to do with the brakes actually. Loads of power (like most V brake I guess).

Cheers, I reckon I willl probably go with the cane creek ones looking at them look nice and functional, a bit different and not too bad on price, cheers for all your help, still don't look as good as cantis lol

For a sweet brake that's still in production I agree that the Paul's units are the way to go.

If you can find a set I highly recommend the Avid Trialign IIIs or the Hershey/TNT units. The adjustability of the Trialign IIIs shames everything else in the v-brake world IMO.

I've run direct curve 3's They look nice enough. Can't say anything else positive about them though.

Didn't even know Grafton made V Brakes, funilly enough Grafton is my surname but I hold no responsibility for how Grafton products work lol

Not V-brakes - I think the thread deviated.... :?

Anyone coming to MM in June may get to see if they can dial them in any better. Running Grafton levers and brakes on both Trimble and Yo Eddy. Both are spongy...

Lol things always deviate on this forum, nope V brakes I need could think of a few canti's I like the look of but want to be able to stop nice and quickly, although saying that my stx canti's were always quite good with koolstop pads and set up properly

The only canti's I used that gave good performance were the later XT's with shimano servo wave levers. The worst were the super spongy Dia Compe PowerControl PC levers (Dia Crape???).

The bitch with servo wave levers was that shimano never released them without rapidfire, and since I was thumbie man I had to butcher a set of rapidfire levers with a hacksaw and dremmel to remove the mount.

The servowave levers also weighed a ton but they worked and that was what counted for me - I've still got the levers somewhere but the bushings are shot and they rattle like a babys toys.

V's all the way for me - avid ultimats so I can swap the noodle round to get the best routing. With XTR levers because they are lovely... I'd like to try ultimates but I'm happy with the XTR's and they are much cheaper.

Back