orange prestige 1993

Satin black with orange graphics.

prestige034-1.jpg

I think toadoftoadhall's colour scheme may have been early 93, as there's a picture of one like that in the '93/94' catalogue, but just in the background, it wasn't for sale any more. I agree those decals are nicer than the squared-off yellow letters in the photo I posted.

The 91 and 92 catalogues both show the Prestige in the pink to white fade, which actually seems quite rare. I like it personally, but if it was the standard colour and it's quite rare, I guess that means it didn't find favour with buyers.

So all in all, I don't think either the colour scheme that you've got or the one you want appeared in any catalogue, but my guess is that they're both 1993 colour schemes. So you deserve a retro merit badge for period correctness!

here are a few pictures of the prestige frame against the stripped down clockwork. Apart from the big weight difference, I don't know the figures but it is very noticeable, and the much higher pitched ping you get with the prestige, the geo of the front triangle is quite a bit different. AsI said, the frames are the same size but the prestige top tube is 1 inch longer and the top tube rises much more which is interesting. Anyway, the clockwork will be moving on at one point and will keep you posted of the prestige developments as and when.

lining the bikes up

cp1.jpg

same size

cp.jpg

head tube angle

cp2.jpg

level on (sort of)

cp3.jpg

That's quite a difference :shock: , same size frames but the Prestige has a longer headtube, should make a slightly more relaxed ride, with the frame being lighter and flexier should be more comfy too.

You using the Pace forks on this one ?

think you are right, the clockwork was just to cramped and forward so hope this makes for a comfier ride. Pace forks will go on it to but will need a longer steerer :? but pretty much everything else will switch across I think.

I think it's much more a difference between the 1991 Orange shape and the 1993 shape, rather than a difference between Clockworks and Prestiges. The 1991 or earlier Prestige shown below looks the same shape as your 91 Clockwork. It has the higher top tube junction with the seat tube, and it has the shorter (11cm?) head tube. I don't think we can tell though from this photo whether it has a longer top tube than a 91 Clockwork (but my guess would be not).

To be honest, although we respect old bikes, design was moving forward, and this change of shape was an improvement not untypical of the way that mtb design was going generally around then. Also frame weights got lighter around that time, as tube manufacturers became more sophisticated in their approach and began to realise that they had initially been erring on the side of caution in specifying mtb tubes.

Incidentally, I can't tell the difference between 89, 90 and 91 Oranges. I have a photo of a Clockwork that looks identical to yours in every respect and I labeled it an 89, presumably because that's what the owner thinks it is. He's almost certainly wrong if he disagrees with clockworkgazz of course, I'm just saying that there's a variety of opinions.

PS
shall we call you prestigegazz in future?

Attachments

• 1991 or so Prestige frame size 19.jpg
    1991 or so Prestige frame size 19.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,580
good point about the 2/3 years of frame development between the two frames explains the differences and I worked both the clockwork and the prestige year of manufacture from the serial number ;)

Might as well ask you Mr A as the how much thread has failed again, but what do you think is a fair price for a clockwork frame and big tange fork in fair condition?

Back