Specialized identification needed please??

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive got hold of an old frame from a friend and would like to know what the hell it is!!

2vwuyx2.jpg

2v9t2d0.jpg

Its got a serial number 97SRO**** with a letter 'L' underneath and there are some numbers on the rear dropouts 'W' on top then 'SBC' underneath

I thought it was a mountain bike frame, but I'm not sure as it has 2 alloy bits on the side of the downtube that looks like theyy used to have shifters attatched to?

anyone got any ideas? :D

I'm a long time lurker, but not made many posts........

cheers

Thats not a mtb thats a road bike frame. The bits on the side are for downtube gear levers which suggests its a wee bit down the hierarchy plus its obviously alloy by the welds. Alas I cannot tell you what it is but try posting on the roadbike section, one of those guys might know.

velomaniac":38141tjw said:
Thats not a mtb thats a road bike frame. The bits on the side are for downtube gear levers which suggests its a wee bit down the hierarchy plus its obviously alloy by the welds. Alas I cannot tell you what it is but try posting on the roadbike section, one of those guys might know.

I agree, plus the lack of canti studs or disc mounts clinches it. The colour scheme is the same as a 99/00 stumpjumper I have, it quite a distinctive and nice blue.

ID

Looking through the books and judging by the frame numbers its more than likely a large 97 S works road model.
The S works were generally upgraded Allez models.
This would make sense as from 99 onwards they had fatter tubes and looked more aerodynamic.
Hope this helps or pionts you a bit closer.
Jamie

thanks guys........especially Jamie's comments seem to make sense.

I thought it was a road bike, but it looked too 'tough'!!

I'll link this thread to the roadies section for a more definitive answer.......it looks lovely tho! :D

frame id

Further checks seem to show it as mentioned above.
The road S Works were back then basically Allez with upgraded components and interestingly the S's on the seat stay only say S not works. They seem to be few and far between but the numbers on this one seem right. The dropout mentions the W (works) and SBC (specialized bicycle components)
There is the earlier models like Allez ultimate which in its day was the S Works with carbon tubes and alloy/Ti lugs :cool:

Thats as close as I can get for the moment.

Jamie

Velo

Hi Velo
Yeah still around lurking in the shadows at odd hours.
Work is manic lately usually out between 8am returning around 11pm and seven days a week. Home for an hour here and there during the day or evening.
Check the site while eating lunch or dinner and the specialized threads always tempt me ;)
Hopefully get down for a ride in a week or so.
Hope your well and we get a ride together soon.
Jamie

Back