Real Ale Wobble 2009...the Aftermath!

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bad start to weekend we made it to wobble ok sadly our partys other vehicle towing a any trailer with our main tent clothes and bikes was caught in a flash flood nr brecon. All ok . Mates car prob a write off trailer with nigh on 6k worth me bikes currently in unknown farmers field not going to make the saturday start line. Assessing situation

And now back home after a thoroughly dissapointing wobble. We couldnt really continue, 3 of our 5 man group had only 1 set of dry clothes each 2 of the 3 tents in our goup were fully submerged in the back of the trailer.

Went to meet the chaps at Brecon Police station (where they had been taken after the 2 fire engines, mountain rescue and numerous police cars were dispatched to drag them and the car out of the flood) Spent a night in a B&B, went out on the lash in Brecon instead...made the best of a bad situation.

In the morning we had to work out where exactly it was the car and trailer had been left. (a Kindly farmer towed them to his yard for safekeeping, unfortunately since the guys were lost when they ended up in the water we had only a rough idea of where the accident happened.)

We found the trailer, car and freindly farmer around 11 am, gave the farmer a Bottle of wine and £10 to say thanks for looking after our trailer full of thousands of pounds worth of damp bikes & equipment.

Amazingly the 04 plate Focus Diesel started first time despite being submerged to the point where the centre console and gear stick were under water. A load of crap was pumped out of the exhaust, and it ran a little smokey for 5/10 minutes but after that all was a lot better than first feared.

The chaps donned their waterproof trousers, turned the heaters to max and set off home.

My self and 2 others went back to the playing field in LLantryd to collect the tent which had spent the night unused following our rescue mission to Brecon.

So sadly unable to actually do the wobble this year...which was a huge shame as I had been looking forward to it for a month or so! But the main thing is every one was alright, I suspect the chaps in the car must of been quite scared, despite the brave faces and good humoured banter after the event.

Bloody hell, I thought I had a bad weekend, it seems not as bad as some.
Attempting 26k's offroad in the mountains with a demon hangover(note to self;ride first drink after, not the other way round :roll: ) is not advised.
I enjoyed myself in an odd sort of saddistic way. Great company, good food and better beer. In about a fortnight when everything is cleaned and dry i'm sure i'll look back fondly ;)
Big thanks to Ed for his 'assistance' on the final stretch, I was fading fast :D
Worst bit by far was a long uphill section rounding a left hand bend. I was feeling it in a bad way only to round the bend and be completely stopped in my tracks by the wind, oh how I laughed :D :D :cool:

Had a great day out with my mates which turned into a very long night ;) . Great to see so many old bikes out there though. I chickened out and left the P7 at home in favour of a bike with discs when I saw the weather.

I know exactly the section you mean Grannygrinder, that nearly killed me! The thought of doing it with the kind of hangover you had....

ok, here are some pics in no particular order!!! some of them have stories behind them but dont ask me about geoff's chip!! the pics are titled!!! :D

Attachments

• ale and retrobike!.jpg
    ale and retrobike!.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,554
  • crossing the severn bridge!.jpg
    crossing the severn bridge!.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,554
  • ed aka orange71.jpg
    ed aka orange71.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,554
  • ed and mark enjoy the ale at the halfway point.jpg
    ed and mark enjoy the ale at the halfway point.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,554
Got back a little earlier

Had a great weekend despite the weather

Great to see the usual faces :D

There is talk of the gang wanting to do the event in August (kite ??) next year instead of the Wobble :shock:

more pics :D

Attachments

• ed likes desserts!.jpg
    ed likes desserts!.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,549
  • Geoff's chip! ask someone else, and NO! it isn't me!!.jpg
    Geoff's chip! ask someone else, and NO! it isn't me!!.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,549
  • river downhilling.jpg
    river downhilling.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,549
  • waiting for the MC to shut up and let us go!!.jpg