Serotta Max 853

no no no you all have it wrong. Black post keeping the silver serotta collar. and black headset keeping the silver stem. balanced looks nice! sweet bike you got me thinking....which is never a good idea! just build it how i tell you and then i will just think of it as my bike and ride it vicariously through you! post pics when done!

Great-looking frame, super colour. It looks smaller than a size 19, but the weight is good even for a size 18. Most steel frames were getting a bit heavier around that time, as designers began to prefer beefier stays. Light doesn’t always equal good. The weight was increased to make the bike better.

The colour lends itself equally well to combining with silver or black parts. But not green. I always think when you have such a fine looking frame, it’s best to keep everything else simple and respectful. A woman who is naturally beautiful looks good with no makeup, and looks her best with minimal makeup. It’s only a non-beautiful woman that looks her best with lots of makeup.

At least the hubs are good hubs, and the colour match is close, but the frame doesn’t really need yellow hubs. Silver would look better. I would use a black headset as the SID crown is black, but keep all the silver parts as they are. But it would also look good with black clamp, post, stem and bars

Quote:
"sweet bike you got me thinking....which is never a good idea! just build it how i tell you and then i will just think of it as my bike and ride it vicariously through you! post pics when done!" -Doc

Oppppppps......

Dueling Serotta 853 MAXs!!!!!! i'll start my own thread but just thought i would let you know that. ITS ON!

Attachments

• serotta!.jpg
    serotta!.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4,178
while i was trying to find out information on this frame i came across some info that suggests that:

This frame is for 80mm of travel?

can only use 1.95 tyres in the rear?

what did you find out about yours? i assume they would be the same specs.
thanks

doc

I actually contacted serotta with the frame number which is

M8 18 040

they told me that it was suited for a 80MM fork ( could also probably take a 100mm)

but they could not confirm the year of production, only that it was the 40th MAX853 built !

about the tyre width, you probably found the same thread as I did and I also asked on the serotta forum but got no reply

I do not think it is a valid point. I have not measured the actual width on the frame ( will try to later) , but it would be extremely unlikely as the frame is presumably from around 2000. ;)

are you going to run 80 or 100? i was contemplating dropping some cash on a 2010 Fox f 32 rl!!! looks like i can get it in 80 or 100 but don't know what i should do!!!??

also what about the tyres? it looks like the tyres you have there are larger than 1.95! if i get 2.1s think they will fit? thanks

How many years did they make this? only one?

DOC

Just checked and my serial number is:

Serial #: M 8 19 045

i think that may suggest that it is a 19" and number 45 made?

does that make yours an 18"? well at least according to their measuring method....

DocBraunson":327uscip said:
Just checked and my serial number is:

Serial #: M 8 19 045

i think that may suggest that it is a 19" and number 45 made?

does that make yours an 18"? well at least according to their measuring method....

you do not sleep ;)

most presumably
dunno know how they measure it as the measure from crank axis till seatpost collar end makes 48 cm for mine - don't even think the C/C measure is 45cm. But the top tube is actually short at 56cm and it is the most important one for size ! so clearly a 18cm

yours is what for top tube ? 57cm/57.5cm ?

maybe the after the M is for 80mm or 8cm travel fork :idea: ;)

I ll us the SID fork which is in stock ;) much less costly than finding a new one. Woul keep that size anyhow as it was what the frame was intended for ;)

well i found out that i don't have work tomorrow. I am a carpenter and the economy has made it had to find steady work in my field.... so i stay up later and buy more things....

my frame is actually on its way right now. it was an EBAY purchase maybe you saw the auction? but according to the listing the seller says that it is a 22.5inch or 57.18cm top tube. how tall are you? i am still new to this cycling thing and curious how this should fit. i can't wait!!! maybe i should sleep.....

doc

Back