Thetford MTB Racing Winter series 2009/2010

Rain mud rain and more mud ....what a day .

I managed to get a ride in around the blue route where i managed to pick up some racers with busted chains etc and gave them directions back to the start :LOL:

A crackin day for sure .

If anyone is looking for a really good waterproof jacket I can personally recommend the Endura Venturi. Kept me dry but not too sweaty throughout, superb bit of kit.

Catch you all at Rounds 2 and 3.

I'll be the guy on the line with the starting pistol!

Might throw the 'dale in the truck if i'm feeling fit enough for a course inspection :D

Mad Cow":2241oe99 said:
Catch you all at Rounds 2 and 3.

I'll be the guy on the line with the starting pistol!

Might throw the 'dale in the truck if i'm feeling fit enough for a course inspection :D

I know myself and Average Mark will be there , the burning question is do i enter the fun race or just go for a lesuirely ride around the black route why the lads race :LOL: ??

It is pretty certain that I will not be racing at round 2. The kitchen rebuild has got to be finished in 5 days starting the Friday before the race.

Kinda like challenge Anneka without the jumpsuit and gormeless camera man following her arse everywhere.

Mad Cow, always wanted to know what roles a commisaire has at an event? Nearly asked the guy at round 1 but he looked a bit miserable.

Nah he always looks like that!

Our role?

Before the race make contact with organiser and ensure everything is properly prepared. If a series, contact the previous commissaire and find out if there are any issues to be aware of.

On arrival first off make sure the organiser has all the right elements in place, course marking is complete, medical cover in place, lap timing in place, enough marshals, radio comms working etc.

Then check the course, is it safe but challenging for all classes (that can be tricky as very subjective), again check course marking for potential "legal" short cuts, I once came across a half mile loop on a British Champs course that had only been taped on the outside. By jumping the five yard gap between the start and finish, you wouldn't have technically cut the course! (I always carry some tape). Also look for potential illegal short cuts and make sure they are marshalled. Ensure arrows are clear and well placed, check hazards are correctly marked with warning arrows.

Ensure all races start on time, classes are correct, gridding (when done) is managed. take a good look around for unplugged bars, bar ends, riders in "hair nets", canoe helmets, caving helmets etc (yes they still crop up now and again) and start the races.

During races make sure you are aware of any incidents occuring, ensuring injuries are properly dealt with, take reports of potential infringements and judge on them, make sure all is running smoothly with organiser, lap scoring, medics.

If a XC race is running an 80% rule, check leaders time with lap timing, calculate cut off time and then arrange for riders to be pulled from race (rare on domestic races)!

At the end of races judge on sprint finishes, hear protests and judge on them, sort out timing problems (usually due to lost, badly placed or dirty numbers) and make sure all riders are accounted for.

Afterwards, meet with organiser for a debrief and look for lessons learnt, examples of good practice etc.

When you get home, write up the report for British Cycling or UCI and submit within 7 days.

OK so that covers the roles that should be done between a team of five Commissaires but at UK Domestic races we usually end up being appointed on our own (too few Commissaires and too many races) so try and do it all ourselves.

Now any questions?

Good luck to all the RB's racing on Sunday. Looks like another dry dusty one :roll:

Latest posts

Back