1994 Rocky Mountain Edge

well. I picked her up and she's in pretty good shape. there is some paint peel - well i say paint but it looks more like red lacquer over a polished frame????

will polish AMPs and Swingarm up nicely. M900 hub, cranks, mechs. Onza ti granny ring and Hope mechanical brake

brake, seatpost, saddle, tyres, stem, bars going

replaced by matching magura brake, syncros post and stem, raceface bars, flite saddle and psycho tyres!!

going to be sweet

i am taking anthonys advice and keeping the riser bars but shortening the stem and dumping the bar ends of course!!!!

ok. So its stripped down and the only thing left in the frame is the headset. this thing is seriously light!!!

I'm thinking a full restoration build for this with a LOT of polishing and anodizing thrown in for good measure!!

what do people think on anodizing the whole front triangle (providing i can get gil to do some decals)

maybe i'll go a little over the top with this one!!!

was thinking matt black to match the syncros stem and post i have! or red??

any ideas

Well it's yours to do with as you please, but it just shows what a broad church this is if you sacrifice the originality of that paint job. To me, the originality of the paint is a big part of the value of a classic bike, and to lose it is to lose something precious. Those immaculate badges were applied in the Rocky Mountain factory by Rocky Mountain craftsmen and I would have too much respect to have them shot-blasted to hell, unless it was really necessary.

From a distance of several thousand miles, it looks in ideal classic condition, by which I mean it looks great from a distance, but shows understandable signs of age from close up. Great, that's what I call perfect. If it was really *perfect*, that would look wrong. A 15 year old mountain bike shouldn't look perfect, it should look like a 15 year old mountain bike.

Just my personal view Nick. Knowing you, I'm sure it'll look great when you've finished with it, whatever you decide to do with it.

Anthony, I totally agree with you - thats why i am leaving the kilauea se with its original job! giving it some clearcoat to stop any rusting though

this one is a different kettle of fish though. looks great in places but shocking on others!! The main problem is that there are a few patches where the paint is peeling off quite badly and i cant even touch it without getting red paint flakes all over my hand. I'm guessing it will be more brittle due to it being a coloured laquer?!?

its a great bike and just think it deserves a little more than peeling paint everywhere!

The peeling (brittle like you see) was a problem of paint on Alu bikes hence why you see a lot of them polished up, I'm sure Rockies where no exception, I thought they has switched to complete powder coating by then though, afaik they started to powdercoat in 1992 for most the bikes, moving away from Dupont Impron paint.

Only reason I mention powder coating is I have no idea of it's adherence to Alu. I just know the paint on most my mates Alu bike would come off like that.

FluffyChicken":1rvvmb0b said:
The peeling (brittle like you see) was a problem of paint on Alu bikes hence why you see a lot of them polished up, I'm sure Rockies where no exception, I thought they has switched to complete powder coating by then though, afaik they started to powdercoat in 1992 for most the bikes, moving away from Dupont Impron paint.

Only reason I mention powder coating is I have no idea of it's adherence to Alu. I just know the paint on most my mates Alu bike would come off like that.

powdercoat is my third option after anodizing and polishing!!

my first problem is the bolts on the rear end are well and truly rounded and need to get them out before i can go any further

Back