orange aluminium elite limited edition gold

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
got this a while ago off "the kracken" it came with a USE titanium seatpost and a royce titanium bottom bracket, a good buy i think! :D

the first thing i did was clean and polish it and measure the b/b to see what cranks will fit without having to change the axle!! turns out it's perfect for 92ish xt cranks and convieniently i just got some of those! ;)

originally i had decided to build this with m900 xtr but i decided that i'd go for xt as i haven't actually got a bike with xt, got dx, got xtr, got lx so i think this would be nice, also frankly xt will hopefully cost less and will be easier to come by.

i fitted my rc35 forks from my aluminium O, they never rode right in that bike anyway but having looked at the frames they should be ok in this, i fitted a new headset that the local bike shop had tucked away in a corner, princely sum of £10! it's only a YST but in all honesty it looks exactly like an old XT other than the lack of writing!

i have some wheels turning up sometime next week, hope hubs on 217 rims, i know they're 8 speed and i'm planning building a 7speed but i might do the old 7speed xt shifter silent click or use a spacer on the hub. we'll see! :D

anyway, here's some pics :D

Attachments

• elite.jpg
    elite.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 12,575
  • limited edition.jpg
    limited edition.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 12,575
  • orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 12,575
Looking good Jonnyboy. :cool:

What size is that one?... most were polished ( like mine ) so the gold anodising is more of a rarity. Christiankaye has a gold elite too ( hope he doesn't mind me posting a pic!? ) The decals seem later than the polished ones though?... '93 perhaps?

My '92 'elite' with full XT and rigid Ali fork weighs in about 23.5lbs. Looking forward to seeing this one built up.... I think I need an E3 next to keep up with your collection of Aluminium Oranges!

Perhaps we need a show us your 'elite' thread? ( Hawki?)

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Christians elite.jpg
    Christians elite.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 12,471
Here she is, been looking forward to seeing this little beauty. Looking good so far and registering my interest for updates :D

update as of today :D

first of all thanks to everyone who has helped with parts, sithlord, sic_nick, goldeneraMTB, madcowkev, there were others but i can't remember :oops: the wheels and the rear mech came from here aswel so if you recognise your old bits, thanks!! :D

the idea of this build has changed a little since i started getting bits, basically the first idea was to go 21 speed xt, but the wheels being 8speed made me think go 24speed using a pair of xt thumbies with the silent click. then i remembered that last time i used xt thumbies as 8 speed they didn't quite feel right. so, i then remembered that kona used to mix and match in 93 with suntour and shimano so i decided to do a bit of a bitza bike but themed-ish.

some bits still might change, for example, it has at the moment hope wheels but i have some m900/fir orange wheels i'm building at the mo, also i have an m900 xtr headset, and an m900 front mech that fits, so i might end up going for an xt/xtr build with the suntour thumbies.

also you will notice the cranks have gone, those got put on my aluminim O cos i nicked the middleburns off that for my E3, but i do have some more xt cranks coming from sithlord, can't wait for them coz then i can get the chain on and set up the gears.

we'll see.

here's some pics so far :D

Attachments

• elite1.jpg
    elite1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 12,272
  • elite2.jpg
    elite2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12,272
  • elite3.jpg
    elite3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 12,272