Klunker project - now finished!!!!

i got it from the states, imported. cost about £60. the forks cost as much again.

i am building it a bit like alan bonds, going to go for red paint like:
r39_01_tn.jpg

VintageBreezer.JPG

i may go full pin but at the same time i dont want to make it too prissy as i use all my bikes as there are no ornaments in my garage ;¬).

Kit wise i have a suntour cyclone mechs + Shifters, mafac cantis, weinmann brake leavers, shimano large fange hubs (NOS), weinmann rims re badged araya (NOS), nikko BMX headset (NOS), looking for TA cranks and brooks saddle with bear trap pedals. If this goes well i am going to make a couple more.

if any one has any better ideas/ examples of paitn jobs for this let me know.

Glad its of interest. I will keep you all posted.

biglev":13vwp352 said:
if any one has any better ideas/ examples of paitn jobs for this let me know.

Glad its of interest. I will keep you all posted.

I don't think you can go wrong with the "spear" paint scheme.

What about the chain guard and rack mounts? Are you going to grind those off?

Keep up the good work!

Have a look at Ductape's DX. Can't remember what that design is called but that will look better on your frame than darts. There is a guy on ebaythat sells the stencil kits to make things easier for you. Duc will be able to send you a link too.

Keep us posted.

Si

Dr S":jpxgewcg said:
Have a look at Ductape's DX. Can't remember what that design is called but that will look better on your frame than darts. There is a guy on ebaythat sells the stencil kits to make things easier for you. Duc will be able to send you a link too.

Keep us posted.

Si

I think that design is called "wingfoot". The ebayer's link is in my build thread too.

I also like these, but I haven't seen the stencils

37roadster.jpg

37c-model.jpg

i think there are water based decals that you slide on. i will have to do some more research as i would then have to match the off white on the frame to the decal. sounds like a challenge though.

After much work and loads of help for the forum (DRS, j-westy and others) and Alan bond (told me where to get rare parts (how good is that) i finaly finished my paint and got all the parts together here is the finished bike:

later 1940's-early 50's schwinn DX frame, enamel paint, Lasante badge
Cooks Brothers cruiser forks from BMX museum
Nikko NOS headset
Ashtabula stem
Renthal bars
Ritchey foam grips NOS
Dia- compe levers
Suntour shifters
Suntour 7 mech (1") NOS
Suntour vx cyclone mech
Suntour 5speed block NOS
Mafac cantis with ritchey pads
DMR bb converter NEW
Shimano bb NEW
TA cranks
Brooks saddle
Harris seat post NOS with tubing brazed inside for strenght
Shimano large flange hubs NOS
DT spokes
Weinmann rims NOS
DMR digger tyres
Jagwire cables
Oddissy pedals NOS

Pick here is your are interested:

p4pb5415527.jpg

p4pb5415526.jpg

Thansk for everyones help and enthusiam. This was a tricky build and by no means as good as some of the others guys build but i love it and it ruides pretty good too.

Happy trails
Pete

Well done!!

Now get out there in your best flannel shirt and garden gloves and give it some serious sideways hammer :cool:

bmx4130crmo":2no04hlq said:
nice and beautiful, thumbs up!
but why you didnt have weld a canti cable stop at the seatstays?

ha ha, good point. i woudl not do that agin. i was going for a ultra minimal cable route usign a shimano cable bridge to centre. unfortunaly i did not do the masth for the mafac cantis and the cabel set up did not work. doh! you live and learn.

Back