How usable are vintage parts?

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Being an enthusiastic newbie when it comes to retro road biking (I got a late 70s Carlton and it's changed my whole perception!) I was wondering how safe a lot of these vintage parts are? I never really thought about it before I guess, but as I am looking for a few old Campag bolts I came across a couple of sites that reiterate the point that a lot of this vintage gear is for show only.

As I am just about to start riding my late 70s Holdsworth complete with original Grand Nuevo bits, am I now in imminent danger?

What are your experiences?

Wired99

vintage parts like that i would say are OK. The trouble with vintage is finding replacements. So i use new running gear :oops: :LOL:

tintin40":1bfqhr3w said:
vintage parts like that i would say are OK. The trouble with vintage is finding replacements. So i use new running gear :oops: :LOL:

Yeah, nobody want to see a hollowtech II setup on anything retro or vintage :twisted:

John":2c0svylz said:
tintin40":2c0svylz said:

Yeah, nobody want to see a hollowtech II setup on anything retro or vintage :twisted:

:LOL: :LOL: vintage Bullseye would look better. But i could never get the non drive side tight to stop the play. :|

Personally I wouldn't worry too much - like anything you need to look carefully for cracks when servicing safety critical parts. Alu bars and stems would be top of my list for concern.

However a lot of the old stuff is steel and frankly that will go on forever.

The old brake calipers doen't work as the new ones do, but I wouldn't worry too much about them breaking.
In my experience parts break mostly from manufacturing defects. And that can happen just as well on new parts as on old parts.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have stripped everything down, regreased, and it all looks pukka! Gonna get new cables for brakes and see how they go.

Thanks again, feedback is appreciated

Wired99

Actually, I'd argue that a lot of vintage parts are more reliable than modern ones.

Enjoy your new bike.

Back