XLM update (and first ride!)

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Well I posted this ages ago but finally the weather was right to ride it (I was determined that the first ride would be on a well loved route with fab weather and plenty of time available and it all came together today). Apologies for the self indulgence of putting up a pic again.

Since the last post I've stuck on some original Crossmax and a Ti seatpost so it is very sprightly too although the flexibility of the post was a bit novel on the way to the trail.

At first the ride was a disaster - the bluebell wood had been visited by horses so the singletrack was extremely rutted, there were loads of flies and the owner of the woods had decided to do some thinning and there were branches and more all over the bath - not good.

However moving on further I came to a favourite and slightly technical bit of singletrack (well, technical for me, very rooty, twisty, narrow and undulating taking about 15 minutes) and at this point everything clicked so much that when I was done I went and repeated it all over again!

Was it the bike? Was it the weather? Do I care? Great stuff and what it is all about for me.

Attachments

• XLM.JPG
    XLM.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 3,310
Oh, very nicely done (I can't decide whether I love or hate the orange forks) though you've been very patient waiting this long to take a ride.

Someone needs to say it - modern Moots, Indy Fabs or Merlins just don't look that nice.

oohh very nice Ed.

Well, I for one love the orange forks. Perfect.

Glad you liked the ride. I bloody love mine - can't think of anything i'd rather ride personally. Sub 3lb frames - mmmm.

:)

I know what you mean about the orange forks, when I bought them I was fully intending to strip and respay them but the paint was in good condition so I thought I'd just go with them as they are. I'm still not 100% convinced about them but is does offer a splash of colour without going down the sparkly bits route.

The bars are NOS X Lite risers.

I may have to change the Ti post for a Syncros one although the black may not be such a good match so it could be out with the caustic soda!

Agency_Scum":3dj1rgvw said:
What the hell possesed Merlin to switch to Asda-Own-Brand decals is beyond me.

oh so true. What do they look like now? Worse than a Halfords own attempt. Why o why?

One of the best Hardtails ever (now) with one of the worst set of graphics of any mountain bike in mtb history.

:cry:

Sweet looking bike Ed - i love the orange forks!

Funny but your bikes always make mine look small! ;)

Some impressive love for the forks - they are RC30s that I got off eBay already resprayed and stickered up, just needed a steerer change that cost me a tenner from the LBS (in fact I walked in with the forks and they were snatched from my hand - in a good way - and a new steerer fitted before I had time to blink).

Back