XT Thumbies Thread Repair??

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Finally got my Answer Hyperlight bar end inserts for the Buck, knocked them in and only had to set the thumbies before snapping a BOTM entry and... yep, threaded out the poxy right hander mount!

Why oh why oh why!

Is there a solution as this is the second time I have stripped out the thread from an XT mount. It's like they go to cheese after 15 years doing nuttin'!

:(

Neil

It may sound daft but find a slightly longer bolt (or cut down one so that it's about 3 or so mm longer than the old one), the thread is only stripped in the bolt hole a couple of mm but there should be loads of thread still in there. Done it a couple times myself, worked every time!

Either that or get some plastic metal and fill it in, drill it out and rethread

I know of another way to repair that... dunno what the d*rn things are called in English, but they did the job for me (well, actually at Specialized when I threaded out on of the brake-boss holes on my FutureShock fork).

They drilled out all the remaining threading, and threaded it again but now 1M size larger (is it called that??). So instead of having an M5 hole you end up with an M6 hole. Now here's the thing I'm talking about:

They had this weird little thread-thingie that looked like a spring (like you also have inside a canti-brake, but smaller of course). That would be the 1M size smaller then. They screwed that into the original larger threaded hole and there was a little pin-thing they would snap off, so it wouldn't come back out again.

And TADAAAAA there you have a brand new M5 hole... :D :shock:

Worked like a charm for me, I still have the same fork and the same brake-boss about 15 years later :cool: Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Only a solution if there is enough material for the helicoil to fit in. Can you post a picture of the offending item?

Drill out the old thread with a 5mm drill as far as it will go before you drill all the way through the clamp. (That'll be carefully then! - 20mm should do)
Then tap with an M6 x 1.0 die.
Use a standard M6 bolt with a head small enough to fit the bolt head space in the clamp. (Off the top of my head, a shifter pod bolt should do).
You may need to shorten the bolt a touch.
Hey presto! :D

10 minute job, if that.

p.s. finding a longer M5 bolt will work - for about 10 mins! (Ask me how I know!)
EDIT: Pete_mcc you must be one of the lucky ones! :LOL:

pete_mcc":3j7fmuzd said:
It may sound daft but find a slightly longer bolt (or cut down one so that it's about 3 or so mm longer than the old one), the thread is only stripped in the bolt hole a couple of mm but there should be loads of thread still in there. Done it a couple times myself, worked every time!

Either that or get some plastic metal and fill it in, drill it out and rethread

Used this method with great success on my old beater set, cleaned what was left out with a tap and then used slightly longer bolts......bingo!

stu

Back