Project No. 6: Alpinestars Cro-Mega SS

Looking good Mark. Very stealth bomber.
I run a 34:18 set-up on my SS, which is just about manageable on the hills around me. It's too low for canal towpaths and the like, unless I'm in the mood for a good spinning.
A 34 ring would take some slack out of the chain on yours too, but it might be worth going for a 36 for the purists 2:1 ratio.

Are you on the Cro-Mega on the 21st? Haven't decided what to ride yet.

(which reminds me about that clear dust-cap I owe you...)

drystonepaul":2opuci94 said:
Looking good Mark. Very stealth bomber.
I run a 34:18 set-up on my SS, which is just about manageable on the hills around me. It's too low for canal towpaths and the like, unless I'm in the mood for a good spinning.
A 34 ring would take some slack out of the chain on yours too, but it might be worth going for a 36 for the purists 2:1 ratio.

Are you on the Cro-Mega on the 21st? Haven't decided what to ride yet.

(which reminds me about that clear dust-cap I owe you...)
Cro-mega DX for me at Farleton Paul, I've not got the fitness to handle a SS on a longer ride, plus i'll be wanting to sprint ahead and open gates etc for the group. Despite all the rain we've had conditions are looking very good :D . Should be up on the fell tomorrow with a local expert, so might yet find some more trails to add.

Think your right about putting a larger front ring on, but I'll try a 16t rear first. The chain tensioner seems to be doing ok, but I was thinking of adding one of those rear mech type chain tensioners as well. Thus, using the existing tensioner as a guide. I've still got loads of links left from the chain so it should be ok.

Don't be going out of your way with regard to valve caps Paul. I can live without a clear one :D

MJN":1vwreljd said:
Just for a reference I always run 32x17,just learn to spin!
Cheers Marcus, thats very helpful to know as I've seen the speeds you can achieve on a single speed!

Scott AT-4 bars have just arrived, so i'll get those fitted today. I'm off riding this bike again today, so will see if I can get them fitted before hand. Might have time to alter the gearing too.

Great work again and inspiration for my cro mega build.

Does it feel heavy as a singlespeed? Those cro mega's aint the lightest!

coomber":27jbcpcv said:
Great work again and inspiration for my cro mega build.

Does it feel heavy as a singlespeed? Those cro mega's aint the lightest!
Cheers coomber, feels pretty light though not as light as my 22lb Dyna-Tech, at a guess i'd say it weights in at 24-26lbs.

Scott AT-4 Pro's fitted and i'm very impressed with them, thanks to sidekick416, Jeff for these (note to self: must let him know they've arrived and to pay the man!).

Here's some pics, complete with Fi'zi:k bar tape.

2009_1112at40001.jpg

2009_1112at40003.jpg

2009_1112at40006.jpg

2009_1112at40009.jpg

2009_1112at40010.jpg

2009_1112at40011.jpg

2009_1112at40005.jpg

2009_1112at40007.jpg

2009_1112at40004.jpg

I've since changed the gearing and managed to take a link from the chain in the process. Off for a ride this afternoon to test :D

A few pics from a test ride over Farleton last week.

2009_1115FF0008.jpg

2009_1115FF0010.jpg

2009_1115FF0012.jpg

2009_1115FF0003.jpg

Enjoyed riding it but crikey it's graft! If you've never ridden one before give it a try. You are out of the saddle more than your on it. Biggest difference is when your settled at a heart rate on geared bike you'd just change down a gear when the going gets tougher, and therefore mantain that steady heart rate. With one of these the only thing that changes is your heart rate!

Anyhow, Kaiser has posted a shimano alfine tensioner to me that i'm going to trial. Although I don't think the chain needs any more tension as the BB tensioner is doing its job, I'd just like a bit more flexibility and thus be able to remove the rear wheel easily.

I'm going to ride and enjoy this bike at least until Christmas. But plans are already in place for its' respray. Gil_m has just received a rather large decal order from me for this project also. I'll keep you informed with the progress.

Latest posts

Back