1993 Dave Yates D.O.N.K.I.S. K.N.O.B.

It isn’t just that the name is silly in itself, but the fact that it’s so clearly a retaliation against the DOGSBOLX just seems to be a joke gone wrong. Almost as if he was expressing envy at the same time as rivalry. Dave Yates is clearly a great bloke and a great frame builder, so he doesn’t need that sort of thing. He could just have given it a simple name and let the bikes do the talking. But I guess he knows best.

I don’t know what the frame would have cost as it’s before my time, but Columbus Max OR was quite an expensive tubeset, so I guess he must have charged a fair old premium over his standard charge. I think Max was the first bi-ovalised steel mtb tube and it must be quite difficult to make it, hence the cost. But having the strength in the appropriate plane plus the increase in weld area enables the use of a 7-4-7 top tube whereas otherwise a 8-5-8 would have been needed for the same strength. The fact that it also looks good is of course purely a coincidence.

That sure is a lovely example and in amazing condition . They are definatley one of the nicest bikes i have ridden , it is very stiff and with the short chainstays one of the best climbing bikes , which is helpful as i'm not much of a fan of going uphill ! My one was slightly different as it had wishbone seatstays from a DOGS BOLX which made it stiffer still and gave better mud clearance aronund the rear wheel . I think when they originally came out in 93 they started from about £700 ish for the frame , Dave is still making them now using Reynolds 853 tubing which builds into a sub 4 ibs frame , and these start from £899 so still fairly pricey but you do get an amazing bike .

Back