Tyres from the 1990's

Lemond Fan

rBotM Winner
Hi all

I have found some 1990's Michelin Hi Lite Super Comp Tyres from the 1990's NOS, my question is due to age I am best getting a brand new tyre from present day or an old stock NOS where the rubber might have perished, Please let me know your thoughts as the last thing I need is to get a puncture due to the rubber

Best Regards

Tim

Tyres actually get better for a few years due to the vulcanising process still continuing. Pro teams actually store their tyres for a few years for big events, e.g. individual TTs etc.

I'd try them - if they are all cracked when inflated, then replace.

19 years is old, 10yrs fine but older hmmmmm.

If it's not a garage queen take advantage of newer compounds, better wear rates, improved grip, being able to replace like for like and more choice.

Check very carefully for cracks in Hi-Lites as I bought one earlier this year NOS and when I got it home and 'bent' it I found out it was badly cracked in places.

Mind you, I only paid a quid for it so it may be used on the turbo instead.

Many thanks for the replies missed out in the end as they went upto £26.00 on ebay so decided to leave them, think i'm going for a set of continental (if I can find a set without the massive new logos) or Vittoria Rubino Pro which seem to have tasteful logos

Best Regards

Tim

I have a few Vittoria Open Corsa CX . Non-evo version and they are like new still. I don't know the age but I bought the oldest ones at least 6 years ago. And they were not new then.

It all depends on if old tyres have been stored properly. I've got NOS Vittoria tubs with the old 1980s logo:

279247450_23aee9906e.jpg

I would be careful if I can't inspect the tyres in person though.

I've got one NOS Vittoria tub with the even older logo, which makes it early 80s if not older, and it's still in good unused condition.

I have a few Vittoria Open Corsa CX . Non-evo version and they are like new still.

I've still got an unused pair I bought several years ago, in black tread/natural sidewall. At the moment they're still in the original boxes and kept in a cupboard, but maybe I should unroll and store them in a wheel bag if I'm not going to use them yet.

fiks":2387anqb said:
I've got NOS Vittoria tubs with the old 1980s logo:

Someone kick me to make me stop gnashing my teeth.

I binned a load of tubs a few years ago that I'm kicking myself about now.

I've got quite a few light NOS Vittoria and Lion tubs in store that are several years old, stored slightly inflated and kept in the dark, on rims if possible. Crono Seta's, Pista seta etc. Trouble is I'm a bit concerned about using them as they're so light!

Next year I MUST fit a pair onto my Record LF/GP40 28's!

Back