92 explosif, just re specced a little modern, sorry!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
you lot are gonna hate me for this, i can see it coming :oops: :LOL:

since i got the E3 and then the Elite i had to start playing with the stuff i have in the garage to get them built, i wanted to do this without buying completely new kit so i decided i would bite the bullet and modernise the kona.

the main reason i decided to v brake this bike as opposed to the others was beacuse it is the only one of my older bikes that doesn't have a rear canti mount which means i can fit the v brakes without having the dreaded unused cable guide which looks awful!! also i changed the wheels because i wanted the m900 wheels for the E3. also being as this is the retrobike that i tend to choose for the odd race i decided i wanted better brakes and lighter wheels. i have also changed the stem because being honest i only fitted the flexstem because i needed the cable hanger.

here's a before and after pic, hope your not too upset with the mods!! :D

Attachments

• v brake cable mod.jpg
    v brake cable mod.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,853
  • explosif rebuild.jpg
    explosif rebuild.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,853
  • how it was, just after mayhem.jpg
    how it was, just after mayhem.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,853
Might've been better sticking with the old wheels but otherwise looks well enough. Probably a good idea to ditch the flexstem.

problem is though the yellow spokes, they look awful in any other bike i have. i like the ride of them though, also the brakes had ceramic pads for the rims so they are kind of together for the moment.

i have got some hope/217's on the way though so i might have a re think but i was hoping to use them on the E3 coz then it'll be a very polished silver build.

nothing is permanent though, if i don't like it or want to change it, it just means spanner time! :D

jonnyboy666":1zqpknoe said:
you lot are gonna hate me for this, i can see it coming :oops: :LOL:

Don't know what your worried about - mines away being chopped and brazed as we speak :twisted:

V's aren't nice but work well - so that's fine for a rider.

At least you haven't fitted a 4-arm crank which has no functional benefit and would look pug-ugly.

i don't mind 4 arm cranks but you're right, not on a bike like this.

also i notice there isn't alot of love for the flexstem! i'm suprised by that, retro was all about experimenting with stuff that sort of works but ends up falling by the wayside! flexstems were the underdogs!! :LOL: it's in my clockwork now as i nicked some bits from that for the e3!

haven't ridden it yet since i rebuilt it coz of work but i know have 2 weeks off so i'm sure it will get a pasting!! :D

Latest posts

Back