BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: This is my bike a Saracen X-Lite kili pro Flyer from 199

crazier":2swnbte3 said:
This is my bike a Saracen X-Lite kili pro Flyer from 1992.
Only the frame and handlebars are left from the original the bike rides ace and may be for sale in the near future for any info please feel free to get intouch.

Please read the rules, you cannot enter a bike with the intention of selling it.

legrandefromage":y31hlylq said:
GoldenEraMTB":y31hlylq said:
SF Klein":y31hlylq said:
^^was this a random post or a serious nomination? :?:

newb :roll:

:LOL: ;)

perhaps that post should be moved.

or at least take the back rack off it

Thats no rack...its a new kind of portable grill. Just check the amount of lights pointing at it ;)

makster":2tdpmfsg said:
legrandefromage":2tdpmfsg said:
GoldenEraMTB":2tdpmfsg said:
SF Klein":2tdpmfsg said:

Thats no rack...its a new kind of portable grill. Just check the amount of lights pointing at it ;)

Chicken A La Raque?

anyway, lose those bloody awful wheels, take it off sale and then you can enter it and I might vote because its the same E-stay saracen I stoopidly sold

I guess this may be my one and only chance to enter so here's my daily driver, 1991? (not 100% sure whether it's '91 or '92) Raleigh Peak from the then newly-launched Raleigh Off Road Series.

peakxlite.jpg

Still largely original apart from; Bars, Seatpost, Saddle, Spokes and Pedals but with a full Deore LX groupset.

Some detailed views:

peakmontage.jpg

I've had it since new, bought in 1991/92 to replace my stolen Diamond Back Ascent and left largely unmolested since. It's had two frame replacements under warranty due to some dodgy brazing on Raleigh's part, first one was a wayward rear brake boss which came off completely, second time was because one of the seat stays had come adrift from the seat tube. I also had one of the Rapidfire shifters disintegrate internally but that was replaced too.

Over the years I've not done much apart from cleaning and servicing, the replaced parts were either worn out or in the case of the Titanium bars (I wish I could find these, sure they are around somewhere) the wrong shape to take clamp-on bar ends. The original LX pedals had dodgy bearings and were replaced with SPD's, I think the bolt in the original Proponent seatpost seized which is why it got replaced with the current Kona 165's, the Vetta 'Shock Absorber' saddle had seen better days and not being able to separate it from the post I had to replace the post too, I prefer the raw alloy of the current post to the painted Proponent finish though and I find the current Ritchey saddle really comfy. Spokes were replaced last week for DT Swiss competitions which has helped the ride quality somewhat.

The Reynolds K2 frame is reasonably light and rides nicely but suffers from inadequate mud clearance around the rear tyre, in contrast the front fork is unreasonably heavy but the frame was designed around the Rock-Shox which adorned the range-topping Summit so I guess these were always going to be a compromise. The transfers started to disintegrate a year or two back so I removed what was left to leave the frame plain apart from the K2 label and an original Jo Burt sticker from BITD.

Wheels are the original Deore LX hubs and Rigida Laser 400 rims, spokes are as previously mentioned and the tyres are 'Federal' knobblies from a now ex-LBS about 10 years ago.

makster":3h0nxwqm said:
legrandefromage":3h0nxwqm said:
GoldenEraMTB":3h0nxwqm said:
SF Klein":3h0nxwqm said:

perfect for tailgating at the futbol match...wait, do you guys tailgate, or is that just strictly an american football phenomenon :D

Analog Kid":112183yk said:
I guess this may be my one and only chance to enter so here's my daily driver, 1991? (not 100% sure whether it's '91 or '92) Raleigh Peak from the then newly-launched Raleigh Off Road Series.

peak.jpg

Still largely original apart from; Bars, Seatpost, Saddle, Spokes and Pedals but with a full Deore LX groupset.

Some detailed views:

peakmontage.jpg

I've had it since new, bought in 1991/92 to replace my stolen Diamond Back Ascent and left largely unmolested since. It's had two frame replacements under warranty due to some dodgy brazing on Raleigh's part, first one was a wayward rear brake boss which came off completely, second time was because one of the seat stays had come adrift from the seat tube. I also had one of the Rapidfire shifters disintegrate internally but that was replaced too.

Over the years I've not done much apart from cleaning and servicing, the replaced parts were either worn out or in the case of the Titanium bars (I wish I could find these, sure they are around somewhere) the wrong shape to take clamp-on bar ends. The original LX pedals had dodgy bearings and were replaced with SPD's, I think the bolt in the original Proponent seatpost seized which is why it got replaced with the current Kona 165's, the Vetta 'Shock Absorber' saddle had seen better days and not being able to separate it from the post I had to replace the post too, I prefer the raw alloy of the current post to the painted Proponent finish though and I find the current Ritchey saddle really comfy. Spokes were replaced last week for DT Swiss competitions which has helped the ride quality somewhat.

The Reynolds K2 frame is reasonably light and rides nicely but suffers from inadequate mud clearance around the rear tyre, in contrast the front fork is unreasonably heavy but the frame was designed around the Rock-Shox which adorned the range-topping Summit so I guess these were always going to be a compromise. The transfers started to disintegrate a year or two back so I removed what was left to leave the frame plain apart from the K2 label and an original Jo Burt sticker from BITD.

Wheels are the original Deore LX hubs and Rigida Laser 400 rims, spokes are as previously mentioned and the tyres are 'Federal' knobblies from a now ex-LBS about 10 years ago.
Not keen on the purple bits, but in every other way, completely lovely.

Did you put on the Zoom stem, or was that stock?

Neil":27sp76xj said:
Not keen on the purple bits, but in every other way, completely lovely.

Did you put on the Zoom stem, or was that stock?

Zoom stem was standard fitment, purple bits days are probably numbered as I reached the conclusion that black would be a better fit these days. Purple was chosen as the original decals were purple so they didn't look quite so out of place but now it's just the paintwork they do jar a bit. Hoping that I've already got the bar ends sorted but probably not in time for this contest.

Thanks for the complements :)

GoldenEraMTB":15tdlzx9 said:
makster":15tdlzx9 said:
legrandefromage":15tdlzx9 said:
GoldenEraMTB":15tdlzx9 said:
SF Klein":15tdlzx9 said:

perfect for tailgating at the futbol match...wait, do you guys tailgate, or is that just strictly an american football phenomenon :D

We don't have the weather for it so stop rubbing our noses it it :roll: :p

Easy_Rider":2k8eucdm said:
GoldenEraMTB":2k8eucdm said:
makster":2k8eucdm said:
legrandefromage":2k8eucdm said:
GoldenEraMTB":2k8eucdm said:
SF Klein":2k8eucdm said:

We don't have the weather for it so stop rubbing our noses it it :roll: :p

Speaking of which that poor Saracen really looks like to have taken a nose dive out of the ugly tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back