NEWBIE...Needs Guidance!

ntmh72

Retro Newbie
Hey guys.....I feel like I've found heaven since stumbling across this site on Friday night....yes, only a mere 3 days ago!!!

Right. I need some help. I'm hoping I came to the right place.

I ride a Spec Rockhopper...around 80miles a week commuting. I've decided to do myself a favour and keep the Spec for what it was created for.....and get myself a road bike for the day job.

Now...the problem is first and foremost...lack of real funds. Second, a wife that sees that I have a bike and doesn't really see the need for another!

Anyway....whilst whiling away the hours on Friday, I saw a YouTube clip of some guy converting an old Peugot into a single speed....WOW!

That's what I want....I want to ride a single speed to work...because a) it makes sense in terms of maintenance and b) they are extremely cool!

PROBLEM..... this is why I need help......

I spoke with a bloke this morning from a local cycle shop....he's told me to avoid any old bike like the plague...they are useless....they are worthless...they could be dangerous and most likely rusted to the hilt on the inside.....they were rubbish 30 years ago, why would I want one now?....blah, blah, blah....not what I wanted to hear. :roll:

So...my question is.....should I manage to pick up a nice old Raleigh or Peugot...or something of a similar ilk....spend a few quid "pimping" it up.....can I expect to get 80 miles a week out of it through the winter....or am I being naive?

Any help...advice (or Freebies ;) ) would be greatly recieved!

Solong as a frame hasnt been abused.left outside for decades then there is no reason it shouldnt do you 80 miles a day, yet alone week.

Just have a look at all the hip fixie riders in London, mostly riding around on reconditioned racers and tourers that are probably 20-30 years old.

I'd send Mr L G Fromage a Twenty quid note, a stamped addressed bike box, and some custard creams.......

Yeah it sounds like the BS owner would rather you buy one of his nice new made in Taiwan bikes rather than one of those old useless s/h bikes :LOL:

As said above the old steel frames from 30'ish years ago will out live us. My daily ride is 23 years old and I would choose it to over what I could get off the peg any day (of comparative money).

Ideally get something of reynolds or columbus tubing. Whats you budget and size?

Hi Tel

Yeah...funnily enough he was extolling the virtues of a brand new shiney road bike....for a mere £400!

If I can get something road worthy and reliable for under £150 to get me going I'll be happy. I can always devlop it over time...right?

I'm around 6ft and on the heavy side (14.5 stone)....not really sure what size bike I will need...any ideas?

I haven't ridden a road bike since my Raleigh Winner when I was about 14 way back mid-80s!

I'd leave that bike shop well alone mate, rubbish advice there :(

As Tel said - old frames can be just fine, as long as they haven't been left at the bottom of a swimming pool since 1983 :cool:

good luck, and remember to post details/pics of your build!

LOL - £400 will buy you a low spec new bike or an amazing retro ride, I know which I'd choose....

I'd say probably a 54-56cm'ish frame would suit you. £150 should buy you a reasonable bike. For example this went for just £70 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77380

Your best bet may be to put up a wanted ad on here for a 56cm road bike with a reynolds frame (should be able to get a 531 frame, or similar, for that price) fit for single speed conversion.

A note on the drop out type. If you get horizontal drops you can use the length to obtain chain tension if you get vertical dropouts you'll need a chain tensioner. My apologies if I am stating the obvious.

I'll keep my eye open as I browse the various forums or if I get anything in myself that may be suitable.

Good luck )

Hi
Thanks for the tip off....this one's already on my watch list. I did ask if they would consider a BIN deal....but to no avail.

thanks again

Yellowonemyfavourite.jpg

Ideal commuter. Doing 16-20 mile round trip daily at the moment, admittedly that's an old photo, it's got mudguards & a B17 now. £160 total, if I could only keep one, this would be it. I hope you find similar!

Latest posts

Back