New Project - Rock Lobster

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Thanks to kingroon (cheers Matt!), I collected this frame yesterday at the RetroRide, and it's going to be the base for my all-year round "good" bike - with front suspension I think, after yesterday! - it's a Rock Lobster frame, serial number OH940819, in green. I've emailed Paul at Rock Lobster to get the lowdown on the frame as I think it's one of the Far East ones - Ritchey dropouts, wishbone seatstay, triple top-tube cable bosses, front mech roller...

Not sure what colour it's going yet, but on the lookout for some 1" Pace forks for it I reckon... It's a bit beaten, there's a slight dent from an over-tightened front mech, but otherwise it seems straight and sound.

Watch this space!

RockLobster.jpg

Well, got an almost instantaneous email reply from none other than Paul Sadoff himself!

The frame is indeed a Taiwan-made "Expert" model, from around 1994. Only 400-500 frames were made, so whilst not ultra-rare, there can't be many still about. The geometry is suspension-corrected for a short-travel fork, so that's definitely what'll be going on it. Also found a page on First Flight's website all about Rock Lobster, which seems to indicate that the main tubes are Tange, with a plain cro-mo rear triangle.

Yo! Glad you like the frame mate, should make a great build.. :cool:

Did you say it was going to go white? That would be noice, royal noice.. ;)

Tallpaul":fdo8yacj said:
Slightly dull question, but what size is that frame and how much does it weigh? cheers :)

Think it's a 17" - it's 17" c-c and 18" c-t...

Weight of frame (now the bb's out) inc two headset cups is around 4lbs 9oz, or 2.1kg.

gradeAfailure":2a707y2x said:
Tallpaul":2a707y2x said:
Slightly dull question, but what size is that frame and how much does it weigh? cheers :)

Think it's a 17" - it's 17" c-c and 18" c-t...

Weight of frame (now the bb's out) inc two headset cups is around 4lbs 9oz, or 2.1kg.

Ta :)

Back