Orange P7 project

colonal white

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I could do with some help if any of you can oblige?

I was lucky enough to find an Orange P7 frame at a cycle jumble about 3 weeks ago. I have dated it to either 95 or 96 using the Retro bike archive, Its a nickel? plated one with canti mounts, also has black decals rather than orange ones, that i have seen before.
So far i have managed to source a fair few parts for it, So far ive found some Pace Kevlar RC-35'S, near enuff a full XT groupset of the correct period, excluding the cranks. Which are probably going to have to be changed having made the error of buying some on the spur of the moment, of the wrong vintage /Middleburn RS7, 5 arm compact drive. with so far a pace 42 outer ring. So ive no idea where to look in regards to ratio's?
Also i could really do with some rims/ Wheels. But i'm not shure what sort of rim/ were used at the time? Would like to get some British hubs rather than use the XT ones. If i've got to get wheels built. Also after a 1" stem and a threaded headset.also at a loss to what shifters i can use? Any ideas to what i should be looking out for?
can anyone help at all?.
(Wanting the bike to be finished in simple black/ silver components)

thanks
paul

Welcome to the forum.

If you fancy selling on those cranks, drop me a pm :) Ive recently aquired an orange o2 1998 which those would work rather nicely with.

Use whatever shifters you want to use!
As for wheels - British hubs? There's only one choice - Hope. You'll find stacks of them on Ebay. There are others of course: Goldtech, Middleburn, Royce to name but three but you'll pay a premium for rarity. I've got a set up for grabs (Fatso front, Ti-glide rear both in red laced to Mavic D521 rims). Drop me a PM if you're interested.

colonal white, welcome.. If there was a Green Monster icon on the Post a Reply page, I'd be using one right now....... You've snapped up what I'm searching for!

Hope hubs would be the go yes, but laced up to some FiR rims.. Middleburn, USE, Pace too.. Would be a great project to build it up with UK parts only.. :cool:

Any chance of a photo of the frame so we can see the progress?

Yep, sounds great so far.
I'll just echo what's been said so far - Hope hubs (or Pace, Middleburn) and some nice British finishing kit (i'd suggest a Pace stem but finding one in 1" flavour is proving a nightmare...), USE seatpost etc...

Look forward to seeing it in 'Readers' Bikes'.

:cool:

Thanks all, just confirmed a few things for me,Any 1" stem seems to be a bugger to get hold of, Pace would be real nice though.
After some X-lite bars, got some Chicken stix levers. So it's going to be a fairly British bike. I am a little reluctant so show pics as i havn't given it the final clean yet, but as requested.. So far ..........

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,394
What's going on with that Pace steerer? Looks threaded at the top and (where it shouldn't be sticking out) at the bottom! :shock:

yes indeed, they were 1" 1/8th steerer fork. i have a 1" titanium steerer inserted in to the 1''1/8th whilst i am waitin for my converter shim to arive from Pace.

I have a brand new Middleburn fr hub in silver.

Very nice looking but finding a rear might be difficult.

Back