Dekerf Mountain Project

Lots of work indeed. Get some frame saver on that pronto Klaus, looks as though it's rotting from the inside :shock: . All the best with it and think your right in going period correct and geared with it.

memyselfandi":2zc0meoy said:
Beautiful frame. In my opinion that deserves to be fully restored. :D

That was the plan........but

So the prognosis from mtbr isn't good from, it'd be hard to wallhanger. Might have to rethink what I'm going to do with it :? I could:

Patch it myself and hope for the best. Low cost solution.

Try to replace the chainstays and droputs myself. Still lowish cost but harder

Get someone to do the work. Higher cost and the rest of the frame might be fubar

Sell it on again, I could ebay the decals and the frame. From what I gather the frame could be used for a discount on a new Dekerf.

The wallhanger bit doesn't interest me as it wasn't mine and my original idea of a lush build is 95% out the window.

I had my eye on that with similar intentions.

If I didn't already have the Kona resto project on the go I would have bought that De-Kerf.

Just read the thread on MTBR, Shmitty's post (3rd from last) is good. looks like its doable just a bit more work than first thought.

What about enrolling onto the Dave Yates frame building course and using the De-Kerf as your learning project?

Definitely have a go at resurrecting this frame Kaiser! Either yourself or with a bit of professional help. If it dosent work out fling it my way and I'll have a go ;)

Best of luck mate. Go for it!!!

(such a beautiful frame)

Allright, I am game.

Questions.

1. Is the frame rotted out from rust causing fatigue?

2. Is it driveside flex that caused the failure?

3. If the frame 4130 or a variation, was it brazed or silver brazed?

4. Are you handy with a dremel?

shovelon":34r78csp said:
Allright, I am game.

Questions.

1. Is the frame rotted out from rust causing fatigue?

2. Is it driveside flex that caused the failure?

3. If the frame 4130 or a variation, was it brazed or silver brazed?

4. Are you handy with a dremel?

1. Pass, but theres some guys at work that may be able to help

2. Pass again, it looks like its been used for lifting doors or summat :LOL:

3. I believe its a Ritchey tubeset and its tig'd at the BB and brass brazed at the dropouts.

4. Handier with a 9"grinder :LOL: yes I have a number of desoutters and bits.

I've got a method from one of the mtbr guys and after reading several times it sounds do able. I'll need to source mty bits and then jump in :eek: I'm going to try Dekerf as well for an opinion.

You do like making life difficult for yourself Kaiser :roll:

How about chopping off the rear end completely and welding on mounts to take an AMP rear end- very easy to do. Hey presto, a unique DeKerf/AMP period full susser.

I can measure and send templates for the conversion if you like?

Back