classsic bike races

orbeas

Retro Guru
how much interest is there in races for classic bikes ?????
If a lot are interested, then why not approach the TLI organization for a catagory to be introduced in there races in 2010
sure if enough interest there could be some races here in north wales

orbeas":1p8y93ts said:
how much interest is there in races for classic bikes ?????
If a lot are interested, then why not approach the TLI organization for a catagory to be introduced in there races in 2010
sure if enough interest there could be some races here in north wales

I discussed this with the TLI Chairman a short while ago in regard to 'Old Skool' TT's and he was quite receptive. Trouble is the events would preferably need to be in the TLI handbook in order to reach the notice of all members and the deadline for this is Nov 22 at the AGM. The events could still be organised at reasonably short notice (a lot less notice than BC or CTT!) but would have to be advertised in some way.

And what would be the definition of 'Classic Bike'? My '58 Pennine and '96 Favori both fit the bill (and look similar!) even though they're nearly 40 years apart. I suppose anything built of steel with round 'normal' tubes and shallow rim wheels could comply. Extra points for running an Osgear and Lam brakes!

In my state of climbing ability I think South Lincolnshire Fens would be preferable to North Wales! I cut my road racing teeth on some of those climbs and still have the nightmares!!

However, it's a very good idea and Mr Chairman could be contacted again regarding what you say - would you like to do this seeing as it's your idea ;) :D

classic bike races

thanks for the interest, as an ex TLI official will chat with John bethal about this and post later,
re rules
horizontal frames only with round tubes on top down and seat, can be steel - alloy Alans = carbon - Alan TVT -- titanium Speedwell.
gear levers on downtube or handlebar ends no combined ones
alloy wheel rims min 28 holes
8 speed max rear gear
alloy bars , stem and seat post
tubs or clincher tyres
free choice on pedals

we have a nice charity ride on anglesey in june run by the local Lions club would be a lovely event for a classic bike ride

distance is either 25 or 55 miles

Re: classic bike races

orbeas":alkjakix said:
thanks for the interest, as an ex TLI official will chat with John bethal about this and post later,
re rules
horizontal frames only with round tubes on top down and seat, can be steel - alloy Alans = carbon - Alan TVT -- titanium Speedwell.
gear levers on downtube or handlebar ends no combined ones
alloy wheel rims min 28 holes
8 speed max rear gear
alloy bars , stem and seat post
tubs or clincher tyres
free choice on pedals

we have a nice charity ride on anglesey in june run by the local Lions club would be a lovely event for a classic bike ride

distance is either 25 or 55 miles

Please give John my regards when you do. I must follow up on the OS TT's soon with him.

I agree on the bike spec. '80's aluminium and early carbon would be fine - and I could use my Duralinox!

Do you have an accurate date for the charity ride yet? Could be a good one for a NW RB get together, not to hilly. Then we could head for Snowdonia............... :twisted:

Classic bike races

Hi old ned
will post the date for sure, will see if can arrange a ride on the saturday so people can make it a weekend of it.

by the way anglesey is NOT flat, harder than the mountains most of the time !!!!!

Re: Classic bike races

orbeas":eahgdh7r said:
by the way anglesey is NOT flat, harder than the mountains most of the time !!!!!

Oh 'eck, what 'ave I gone and done??!!

Mind you, it can't be as bad as the Bwlch-yr-Groes - can it???

Back