When does original end and retro style kick in ?

cdaimers

Devout Dirtbag
I have sourced a 1986 Overburys frame following this thread a while back.

http://retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... =overburys

It is unlikely that I will be able to source original parts for it, or I will be spending the next 4 years sourcing some parts which will make it look original. I have managed to source some OEM parts, ie suntour stuff from the late 80's.

So the question I ask, is it too much to start using retro style components on it, i.e cross canti's, bars in a retro style etc ??

I also have a near complete M900 groupset. Would that be too much on a bike of a earlier era ?

JUst asking as I would like to ride the bike this year but it is a long term retro project.

If you intend riding it, my thoughts would be build it up with whatever you have to get it running and then replace the parts in as you come across them.

When I put my bike together in the early 90's it was built up over several years with the final purchases being the frame and forks! It was the only way I could afford to do it. (ok, it was all new stuff then, but it's retro now!)

Yeah I second that, just build it up with whatever you can and have it as a rolling project.
That said, if the parts arent too modern it would still be an awesome retro ride. Like if you've got say '93 parts hanging on it, it would still look like it had come straight out of '93, as if the owner had baught the bike in 1986 and just upgraded over time, as you would have done if it had been in daily use from '86 to '93.

Back