What is mid-range?

kaiser":1qnr6p7f said:
Although good frame crap components does have its merits.

Yep.. Back in 1997 I bought a P7 Alivio as I couldnt afford a better group but wanted a good frame...

i wouldn't consider any "frame only" bike built up with mid-range parts as a valid entry in this months BOTM. neither would i consider any bike which would have been purchased built up with high-end components BITD, but now built up with mid-range parts a mid-range bike entry.

i do agree with no better than LX parts on the bike as mid-range.

Mid range for me was always price thing based on the average selling prices of bikes: cheap bikes are up to 300 new, mid range is 300 - 800 new - and anything else is high end.

This pretty much applied in the mid 90s as it does now as bike price ranges have not changed a great deal in 15 years.

This might sound bonkers to some, but it works for me.

fingers":1ztsy1tx said:

Meeeeoooowwwww!!!! :D :D :D :D

Anything that was at the top end of your paper-round savings - but around 500 quid is what MBUK would have classed it as.

John, I'm definitely miserable and I clearly didn't articulate my thoughts terribly well.
Wasn't after an arguement I was just trying to show my support for bikes with components from lower down the Shimano range. :roll:

Knew I should have kept quiet on this subject :D

So, what do you call a nice frame that was a rider for decades, but which was built up with mid-level components? I think a lot of the definitions here beg the question. Taking a top end frame and outfitting it with work horse parts is a popular method of getting the ride qualities that you want without breaking the bank. The resulting bike certainly isn't high-end because, by design, the build has been set up to be cost-conscious. After that it becomes more quibbling. The Merlin is unusual because it was a boutique frame, but the fact is, that the owner built it as a rider and did ride it until I bought it.

mattbrown":1828o3xq said:
fingers":1828o3xq said:

Meeeeoooowwwww!!!! :D :D :D :D

Anything that was at the top end of your paper-round savings - but around 500 quid is what MBUK would have classed it as.

I have one me'self sir...

BITD MBUK 1996 buyers guide (IIRC) had the cindercone as the ultimate budgeteer bike - quality, as much as one really needs, and sensible upgrades... All from the offing.

Latest posts

Back