S-bike info

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Anyone here got any onfo about those (in)famous S-bikes from the 90ies? I will be having one soon, and want to rebuild it again... but searching on the net or here gives me very little info about them.

Here's a pic of the one I'm getting:

sbike01.jpg

Anyone know what type this is and what it was originally like? Cause this one seems to be repainted (and badly too) to me? Can't remember ever seeing them in this colour... weren't they mostly just polished alu with black "S-BIKE" decals and a swiss flag on them? I know the one without suspension is the 729 or something, seen that coming by here on the forum.

So if anyone could get me some more info (or pics, would be great too!) I would appreciate it. Let the restoring begin!!

PS: and I am happy with this one... good to make up for the Zaskar (see other post) not working out for me :-(

They are made by Verlicchi

MTB Plus magazine visited S-bike in the early 90s. Another issue of the same magazine featured the FS version (in yellow). I believe that particular bike is still hanging in a shop and for sale.

Uhm... anyone have an idea about the year mine is manufactured? My guess would be around 1993/1994?? At least, I found out the 729 is from 1991/1992 and since this one also has a MAG-21 in it I think it would make a 1993/1994 bike (but of course they could have bought the bike and have a MAG-21 fitted afterwards on some clearout in 1996 as well).

The one hangin' in the shop Elev12K is referring to is fitted with disc brakes if we both have the same yellow bike in mind. So that would be a later model...

As I see it: MAG-21, canti brakes, even XT thumb-shifters and that Syncros stem makes me think about 1993??? Anywayz, any help about this bike would be great. I found out that the front is supposed to be red and the rear is polished alu. I also found some pics af one looking like this with the number 829, although that one had a square rear-end. Kris le Rouge (wasn't he in here as well?) restored one I found in a thread on a french site (even got some pics about how to get the rear-end off).

And for 125 euro's I think it ain't a bad deal is it?

Hi,

I have the 1994 BIKE Markt laying in front of me. The 908 is red with silver swing. The swing looks like yours. Components are 1994 (than new) XT, so no thumbies. Forks: Spring Downhill. Rims are Ambrossio CC22, but the bike pictured has Spengles.

It is the only FS model in the 1994 line up.

Elev12k":223dlrel said:
Hi,

I have the 1994 BIKE Markt laying in front of me. The 908 is red with silver swing. The swing looks like yours. Components are 1994 (than new) XT, so no thumbies. Forks: Spring Downhill. Rims are Ambrossio CC22, but the bike pictured has Spengles.

It is the only FS model in the 1994 line up.

Would ya care to scan that for me? And put it in here or on my e-mail?

Ain't supprised about the thumbies, the dude selling it told me the STI broke and the replaced it with these. Ah well, a nice set of extra shifters for my KLEIN or to sell some day... I still have NOS ST-M091's that are on my Stumpjumper FS now. Could use those of course :cool: :idea:

About everything on your bike is from the older m730 XT generation.

Scanning: I do not have a scanner now. Can see whether it can be arranged asap. Can also take it with me to a next Dutch Retroride. Same for the other S-bike content I mentioned(if you not already have it)

Void(EN12-82)":3g48kcw7 said:
Hi all,

Anyone here got any onfo about those (in)famous S-bikes from the 90ies? I will be having one soon, and want to rebuild it again... but searching on the net or here gives me very little info about them.

Where did you find that?? I've been searching for one to fix up for a while and haven't found anything available. :(

andrewl":27ouprhn said:
Void(EN12-82)":27ouprhn said:
Hi all,

Where did you find that?? I've been searching for one to fix up for a while and haven't found anything available. :(

Well, the guy whom I got my KLEIN Rascal frame from (see other thread) had this one standing around... And since we can get along, and he loved what I did to the KLEIN frame he asked me if I was still interested in it. For 125 euros eventually :D

Funny thing is, he couldn't get it sold at all... it's been on marktplaats, it's even been on E-bay last year (for 250 euros BIN).

Well, my lucky gain I hope (since that GT Zaskar LE was sold unfortunately before I got a change to go have a look at it) :(

Back