BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
BarneyRubble":3pwujnk7 said:
Obviously there were a few "lucky" kids around who had XT equipped bikes, but they were either sponsored by a team or well off parents. ;)

..or worked in a butchers and abattior from the age of 12 like I did - every time I cleaned out the gut skip I thought 'well that's another bit of XT paid for'. Oh the stories I could tell, but it is morning so I won't. :LOL:

pete_mcc":3okqueke said:
BarneyRubble":3okqueke said:
Obviously there were a few "lucky" kids around who had XT equipped bikes, but they were either sponsored by a team or well off parents. ;)

..or worked in a butchers and abattior from the age of 12 like I did - every time I cleaned out the gut skip I thought 'well that's another bit of XT paid for'. Oh the stories I could tell, but it is morning so I won't. :LOL:

GUTSKIP? I feel unwell. :oops:

BarneyRubble":2eimlt5l said:
pete_mcc":2eimlt5l said:
BarneyRubble":2eimlt5l said:

GUTSKIP? I feel unwell. :oops:

Ditto, just enjoying my fifth coffee of the morning when I read that. Did make me feel a little queasy.
Tempted to change your rank to "King of the gut skip monkeys" but I'd imagine it's not something you'd want reminding of...

tourney
70GS
100GS
200GS
300LX
400LX
500LX
Deore LX
Deore DX
Deore XT

Quite clearly mid range

Altus
Altus A10
Altus C20
Alivio
STX
STX-RC
Deore LX
Deore XT
Deore XTR

from memory anyway...

legrandefromage":37ndmvb3 said:
tourney
70GS
100GS
200GS
300LX
400LX
500LX
Deore LX
Deore DX
Deore XT

Quite clearly mid range

Altus
Altus A10
Altus C20
Alivio
STX
STX-RC
Deore LX
Deore XT
Deore XTR

from memory anyway...

I'd forgotten about 70GS - I think it was biodegradeable or something - whatever I haven't seen a single surviving component in over 10 years.

Barney Rubble":37ndmvb3 said:
Well said that man, any one who was in their early teens earning paper round money would have been pleased to get their hands on a 300lx equipped Fire Mountain. An excellent entry level bike that got many people into riding. LX equipped bikes were definitely aspirational for most who were 12 or 13 years old, (as I was) back in '92. Obviously there were a few "lucky" kids around who had XT equipped bikes, but they were either sponsored by a team or well off parents. Wink

I feel old - I was 21 in 1992 and it seems like a very long time ago.

Its funny how the debates centred round the groupo, wheras I would have said frame material/tubeset was more relevant.

kaiser":h38yb0qr said:
Its funny how the debates centred round the groupo, wheras I would have said frame material/tubeset was more relevant.

Good point. I had various thoughts how one might define 'mid rnage'. Price? Frame material? It comes down to the fact groupset was easiest :LOL: Either way at least it's generated some positive debate.

@Bushpig - the judging panel has noted that shiny u-brake on the newsboy. Can you confirm the spec on that ;)

Did the judging panel notice it was hung from a £3000 frame?
Now I don't want to sound churlish but I don't remember there being any mid range Merlin Newsboys leant against the outside toilets of Barnsley when i was growing up.

John":3u15ebqb said:
Good point. I had various thoughts how one might define 'mid rnage'. Price? Frame material? It comes down to the fact groupset was easiest :LOL: Either way at least it's generated some positive debate.

Bike magazines always seemed to do it on price?

BITD (early 90s) I would have thought anything new around the 500 mark, was mid range, so a range of prices around there, and nothing upgraded beyond the mid-range definitions would perhaps ensure that top-end, dressed-down a little, were weeded out <shrug>

Dr S":10uk4dbo said:
Did the judging panel notice it was hung from a £3000 frame?
Now I don't want to sound churlish but I don't remember there being any mid range Merlin Newsboys leant against the outside toilets of Barnsley when i was growing up.

As mentioned previously it hadn't escaped our attention. As also mentioned previously the decision was made to judge 'mid-range' purely on groupset. The newsboy appears to have an LX groupset (pending clarification of rear brake) and as such is eligible although perhaps not in the spirit of the contest.

Neil":10uk4dbo said:
Bike magazines always seemed to do it on price?

Maybe so but how on earth would we find the price of any bike any user might enter??

Groupset it is. Easy to define. Good for debate :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back