Chaser's Saracen Project

chaser":3d3xyqnv said:
Geoff":3d3xyqnv said:
chaser":3d3xyqnv said:
The Orange R8 was top of the list but when I discovered that the frame weight was over 5.5 lbs due to the new CEN safety standards, I decided to look around.

What's all that about then? Never heard of it...

Love the frame by the way, awesome paint job!

Thanks... Yes I love the frame colour, especially in the sunlight.

The R8 is the Reynolds 853 hardtail frame from Orange. The CEN standard is a new safety standard which tests the strength of bike frames. A lot of the traditional 'lightweight' frame manufacturers are having to 'beef up' the frames to pass the test. This means added weight :cry:

so ignoring 120 years of frame building - a 'new standard' must be implecated because some obscure frame failure.

http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/homepage.htm

Hi Guys,

The decals from Gil arrived this am and I could not resist sticking at least one before work :roll:

Decals are really authentic and quality of print is really amazing.

Here's a taster......

A big thanks to Gil for these :D

More soon...

Chaser.

Attachments

• sara_ht.jpg
    sara_ht.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 878
legrandefromage":l3sg5p9e said:
chaser":l3sg5p9e said:
Geoff":l3sg5p9e said:
chaser":l3sg5p9e said:
The Orange R8 was top of the list but when I discovered that the frame weight was over 5.5 lbs due to the new CEN safety standards, I decided to look around.

What's all that about then? Never heard of it...

Love the frame by the way, awesome paint job!

Thanks... Yes I love the frame colour, especially in the sunlight.

The R8 is the Reynolds 853 hardtail frame from Orange. The CEN standard is a new safety standard which tests the strength of bike frames. A lot of the traditional 'lightweight' frame manufacturers are having to 'beef up' the frames to pass the test. This means added weight :cry:

so ignoring 120 years of frame building - a 'new standard' must be implecated because some obscure frame failure.

http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/homepage.htm

Yes LGF... I am sure most frames could be broken if used in a certain circumstance.
It is a shame that the heart and soul is sucked from everything these days, still that's why we are all on here eh? We love the old stuff :D
I was speaking with Salsa a few days ago and their 2010 A La Carte is held up due to changes being made to conform to CEN too!
As Ross said...Ride and Smile.
Chaser
:)

Decals look great so far. Looking forward to seeing the big downtube one and the rest.
Then I'll have to get a couple of sets ordered for my Saras.

I'm liking the way this thread is going, but I do think that blue ano and purple may look a bit odd together and I personally would go for plenty of silver.

My 2p. :D

I think this is gonna turn out awesome!

Silver would be good, but I think purple ano would look really nice. Or would that just be OTT?

That paint finish is awesome. Did it come like that of the bay, or have you polished it yourself?

memyselfandi":1t0f6ctl said:

Silver would be good, but I think purple ano would look really nice. Or would that just be OTT?

That paint finish is awesome. Did it come like that of the bay, or have you polished it yourself?

they come dusty fresh from ebay just like that:

frame_120.jpg

Thanks 'Paul,

Having a real problem deciding which way to go with the anno...

If you look at some of the latest jump/trial bikes, there is a lot of blue anno with purple [DMR have a model like this right now ] and back in the day it would not be unusual to see a purple Yo Eddy with blue anno all over the place. There is one on RB somewhere.

The two other options are :1.Black parts 'moody look' 2.Typical 96-97 Saracen look, all silver parts 'factory fresh' look, bearing in mind the RC31 Ti will be all black.

It's really hard to imagine what a bike will look like when you are just staring at a bare frame. Maybe some designer on RB can come up with a 'configurator' like on the car manufacturer websites eh?

Will hopefully get to stick the rest of the decals tomorrw :D

'til then...

Chaser.

legrandefromage":2a2sipn2 said:
memyselfandi":2a2sipn2 said:

they come dusty fresh from ebay just like that:

frame_120.jpg

Yes, mine came dusty too... they polish up to a mirror shine though.

Saracen used to say they had the toughest paint in the industry and I have to admit that my used and abused Terratrax paint has held up really well and no rust even where the scratches are either.

Cheers,

Chaser

I forgot to ask LGF... what are you doing with your Saracen frame?
Have you weighed it yet? Any plans on what type of build?
Chaser.

Back