Seized seatpost

icantthinkofausername

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

I have a seat post stuck in a frame and it isn't going any where in a hurry. I have sprayed Grease down the seat tube from the BB and left the bike upside down over night and it is still stuck. Anyone got any ways of removing seatposts? I don't mind if the post becomes damaged etc on removal. All ideas welcome. I don't have acids or blow torches so realistic ideas please !!

Cheers Pete

Too late for grease fella, get some penetrating fluid from somewhere like Motosave and do the same again.

Is it stuck because it's the wrong size or because it's seized? If it's the latter you obviously need to get it moving again, can you knock it in a little ways to get it unstuck?

Clamp the seatpost in a vice and twist the frame, with the extra leverage you might shift it.

There'll be more top tips coming your way I guess, some involving Coka Cola I'm sure, never had to do this but I've heard it works.

When all else fails take it to a frame builder/engineering Co who may be able to ream it out, next time Copperslip it matey!

:)

The orange (from the same ebay lot) is in the same condition icantthinkofausername. My plan for it was going to be working up from twisting the seatpost in a vice through to cutting and splitting the post with the last resort being taking a torch to the top of the seat tube (the orange needs a respray any way)

However the paint wortk on your frame would be quite nice if you could keep it original.

My LBS got a seized seatpost out of my Breezer by very carefully applying heat to the seat tube. In fact, they didn't even damage the paint. This was after penetrating fluid, a vice (plus 2 strong blokes) and a lump hammer had all failed.

steveslow":uurjce27 said:
My LBS got a seized seatpost out of my Breezer by very carefully applying heat to the seat tube. In fact, they didn't even damage the paint. This was after penetrating fluid, a vice (plus 2 strong blokes) and a lump hammer had all failed.

Ive seent this done at Noahs Ark - works but make sure that someone who knows what they are doing does it!

Back