BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a mid range bike, that is a SS, and was originally a low/mid price, and it has XT cranks on cos they were all I had hanging around, can I enter it?

theboy":11pv8t1e said:
If I have a mid range bike, that is a SS, and was originally a low/mid price, and it has XT cranks on cos they were all I had hanging around, can I enter it?

I think the spirit of this month is for the more ordinary lesser machines that many of us would have been saving up for or just looking at with that "almost attainable" look, or were actually riding. Your bike may fit that criteria, and so you can only try by entering it anyway and see if it's accepted.

theboy":jbwsiu06 said:

No
This would break this rule
John":jbwsiu06 said:
To deal with a few points raised

-No parts from higher gruppos allowed, i.e. no XT or DX

which was in response to a similar question.

Nah 200/300/400 etc are all learning to ride bikes and ride around town and not for mountains/hillocks.
An 'Mountain Bike' (in my eyes and probably Magazines at the time) would have a Deore or similar other manufacturer components.

£300 was always considered "entry level" for actual off-road riding (by the magazines ;-) ), which would have been 300/400LX or so. My 1990 Trek 850 had Suntour XCE on it, that was £350 IIRC. The Fire Mountain of that year for similar money had mostly 300LX. Both entirely capable MTBs.

wow i mite even stand a chance with my Orange Prestige.
built with ALL LX components

23kw61i.jpg

MikeD":13ex5eft said:
Nah 200/300/400 etc are all learning to ride bikes and ride around town and not for mountains/hillocks.
An 'Mountain Bike' (in my eyes and probably Magazines at the time) would have a Deore or similar other manufacturer components.

£300 was always considered "entry level" for actual off-road riding (by the magazines ;-) ), which would have been 300/400LX or so. My 1990 Trek 850 had Suntour XCE on it, that was £350 IIRC. The Fire Mountain of that year for similar money had mostly 300LX. Both entirely capable MTBs.

Well said that man, any one who was in their early teens earning paper round money would have been pleased to get their hands on a 300lx equipped Fire Mountain. An excellent entry level bike that got many people into riding. LX equipped bikes were definitely aspirational for most who were 12 or 13 years old, (as I was) back in '92. Obviously there were a few "lucky" kids around who had XT equipped bikes, but they were either sponsored by a team or well off parents. ;)

Despite all arguments to the contrary, LX is not bottom end. There were likely just as many groupsets below it, as above it, and LX featured prominently on mid range bikes (which is what this particular BOTM is all about, don't forget).

It most definitely is mid range groupset - always has been, always will be. I have ruled on this, now. That is all ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back