Servicing 8 speed Campag Ergo's ?

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've got a pair of campag athena ergo's that I want to use for the patina cross bike build but unfortunately one of them has a cable stuck in the ratchet (not an uncommon problem I believe). :roll:
Luckily I have a set of veloce that I can use as a donor for the ratchet part, however when I try to undo the allen bolt at the back of said part all that happens is it turns as if changing gear.
Does anybody know what the technique is for removing the ratchet ?

Dont know about removing the ratchet (and not sure if they are interchangable between groups ) I had the sane problen and shifted the cable by cutting the cable as close as possible to the ratchet and then used a thickish sewing needle and a very small hammer to knock out the cable end by attacking it from the side where the cable comes out.
There is enough room for the needle and the cable to go through the hole. may also be wn idea to knock the point off the needle to avoid sticking it where its not supposed to go.
Cheers

Have rebuilt a couple fo sets of ergos with success, used these instructions. Don't recall the issue you mention..

John":1e1x8esd said:
Don't recall the issue you mention..

I'm just going on past experience of using the ergo's for cross, generally had to get one or two ratchets replaced by Mercian after each season due to the cable end being stuck in there. :(
The ratchets between the two pairs look identical but I will give the needle trick a go and see what happens.

NakedGav":9d6ik3is said:
I've got a pair of campag athena ergo's that I want to use for the patina cross bike build but unfortunately one of them has a cable stuck in the ratchet (not an uncommon problem I believe). :roll:
Luckily I have a set of veloce that I can use as a donor for the ratchet part, however when I try to undo the allen bolt at the back of said part all that happens is it turns as if changing gear.
Does anybody know what the technique is for removing the ratchet ?
Older levers need a pair of allen keys for disassembly - one to prevent the mechanism turning, and the other to loosen the bolt. You'll find full instructions here:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

If you need part reference numbers, all the spare parts lists are still available on the Campag site:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

One last hint: Campag cables use a slightly smaller head than many of their competitors. A genuine Campag cable won't jam in the lever, but if you can't find Campag cables, you can file the head slightly to avoid the problem.

NakedGav":33qi2vy3 said:
John":33qi2vy3 said:
Don't recall the issue you mention..

I'm just going on past experience of using the ergo's for cross, generally had to get one or two ratchets replaced by Mercian after each season due to the cable end being stuck in there. :(
The ratchets between the two pairs look identical but I will give the needle trick a go and see what happens.

I believe you about the stuck cable, just don't recall the mechanism spinning when disassembling :D

Aah, I see ! :D
I'll see if I can see where the other allen head is on the lever side to hold it steady - other than that I'll cry and throw a strop and take it to Mercian ! :oops:

NakedGav":gwruw820 said:
I'll see if I can see where the other allen head is on the lever side to hold it steady
You'll probably need to remove the brake lever blade to get at it. Tap out the pivot pin with a drift, remove the blade, and you should see the allen socket underneath. That's based on my recollection of an older Veloce lever, but I think Athena was the same.

Converting c 1998 Avanti?

With all the experts gathered may I jump in and ask if its possible to convert c 1998 Avanti ergos from 8 to 9 or 10 speed?
Reason for me asking is that the internals look a bit different than my old Record's.
Also like to know if the levers are compatible with c Record Delta brakes?
Very grateful for any hint what parts needed as I'm finally started with rebuilding my old Daccordi.

Back