Q&D pics of 1992 ? Specialized S-works Steel

BoyBurning":hl18aoel said:
It's a '92 (like mine)...
Wu-Tangled":hl18aoel said:
Lovely Bike.

It's a 1993.
Could either of you (or anyone else) clarify what makes it a '92 and not a '93, or a '93 and not a '92? If it's a '92, what does a '93 look like? If it's a '93, what does a '92 look like? Is it ambiguous?

Not trying to stir up controversy - I'd just like to learn how to tell the difference.

one-eyed_jim":19yvu6rm said:
BoyBurning":19yvu6rm said:
It's a '92 (like mine)...
Wu-Tangled":19yvu6rm said:
Lovely Bike.

It's a 1993.
Could either of you (or anyone else) clarify what makes it a '92 and not a '93, or a '93 and not a '92? If it's a '92, what does a '93 look like? If it's a '93, what does a '92 look like? Is it ambiguous?

Not trying to stir up controversy - I'd just like to learn how to tell the difference.

Me too... :) The guy i got it from was no help he thought he bought it in 96...

So not much help there... :LOL:

the frame number will have a year of manufacture in it. ie: if there is a 92 in the frame number it was made in 1992 and is a 1993 model year.

I may be wrong (almost unheard of but occasionally happens.... :LOL: ) But i remember this one being the 1993 one in metallic burgundy.

Could have been the 92 though. Suppose the frame number will let you know.

Same colour as the 1993 Stumpjumper, and 94 rockhopper comp.

Suppose it's unlikely that they'd make it the same colour as the boggo cooking stumpy of the same year. :roll: So perhaps ignore above comment about being not wrong often...

:LOL:

hang on. that's a 1993 cable hanger on the back. 92 had a bridge.

1993 bikes had a little metal tube welded round the seat tube top on the non drive side like this one looks like it has...

:roll:

Yep '92 serial number..and cable woddle welded on seat tube..

Guess that means its a 93..many thanks for your help.

K :)

But didn't the S-Works always use a canti noodle at the rear to save weight? The Stumpjumper did change from a full bridge to a noodle in '93.

I agree that the '93 stumpjumper came in a very similar dark red.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/m ... 100-a.html

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/m ... umper.html

The fact that my '92 Stumpjumper also has a 91 serial number makes me lean towards a '93 date for the S-Works, but were no frames being built mid-year? Has anyone got a confirmed '92 frame with a 92 serial number, for example?

that's nice that stumpy. but this is where it gets a little too nerdy....

i reckon that's the alternative colour 1994 model. alternative to the gorgeous clay/ green (or gray green - can't remember.)

check out the regular stumpy in the catalogues section above in 1993. you'ss see the one i mean with regard to the burgundy.

:roll: too much.

back to my all day speed garage fest on truelive.co.uk.

:D

The plot thickens..

The bike shop the original owner part owned still has a branch open....perhaps they would still have a record of when it was purchased...although i suspect that he would have got it as a perk of somekind.

If its any clue..the decals are not transfers nor laquered over like the 93 Stumpy example above..

Mind you all these pics of stumpys..is making me want one as well..

P7 as swap anyone...
:LOL:

K

Latest posts

Back