BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know what to enter! my rts or khs. whats the closing date for entries?

lewis1641":1il6oby4 said:
dont know what to enter! my rts or khs. whats the closing date for entries?

Whenever someone gets round to doing the poll, maybe mid month.

uno-speedo":18z6ptay said:
;)

4071507507_fb76f3e92b.jpg

My ProFlex was rescued from a skip ! :LOL:

John":2bscc1nk said:
-IIRC suntour order was XC Pro, XC Comp, XCD, certainly early 90s.

In the early 90s (1992 I think) Suntour introduced the XC-Ltd group, sort of coincided with the launch of LX. I always treated XC-Ltd as the LX equivalent and X1 as the 500LX group, also matched by both of them using high levels of plastic rather than the ali that LX/XC Ltd used

EDIT, also forgot the introduction of XC Expert which entered below Pro with Sport below that, am I right?

Mombat.org is always a good indicator of timelines and levels of groups

here we go:

http://mombat.org/Suntour.htm

pete_mcc":2qdhpumd said:
John":2qdhpumd said:
-IIRC suntour order was XC Pro, XC Comp, XCD, certainly early 90s.

In the early 90s (1992 I think) Suntour introduced the XC-Ltd group, sort of coincided with the launch of LX. I always treated XC-Ltd as the LX equivalent and X1 as the 500LX group, also matched by both of them using high levels of plastic rather than the ali that LX/XC Ltd used

EDIT, also forgot the introduction of XC Expert which entered below Pro with Sport below that, am I right?

Mombat.org is always a good indicator of timelines and levels of groups

here we go:

http://mombat.org/Suntour.htm

Mombat says you're right!

No XC Pro or XC Comp on 1990 onwards bikes. Earlier than that...we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I have withdrawn the Cannondale as it is deemed illegal and will offer up my mid range 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport. I will get some better pics before the voting but here is a few tasters.

3975931181_18a09961f4_o.jpg

3976688302_1b6132d147_o.jpg

This bike was given to the boss of Santa Cruz Skateboard Co by Mike Sinyard himself and is unrestored and tyres apart, is completely original down to cables and brake blocks. I'm just sorting some period amberwalls for it before I get those updated pics.

Cheers
Si

Orange C16R

might as-well throw this to the lions ...... Orange C16R - Almost completely as-purchased ( except for the back wheel ) STXr gruppo - what more can i say ?

Attachments

• c16r007211.JPG
    c16r007211.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 761
Loving the MF at the moment, but there is still time!

I always thought that when DX was about, LX existed in it's "Mountain LX" guise, so although DX later vanished, the introduction of XTR kept LX in 3rd spot in the range.

Incidentally there has been mention of LX being bottom of the range, but that would assume that 200gs, 300 LX, 500 LX etc never existed? To my mind the Shimano MTB range began with 200GS and went up from there, making LX firmly "Mid range".

Dr S":1wg4plxo said:
I have withdrawn the Cannondale as it is deemed illegal and will offer up my mid range 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport. I will get some better pics before the voting but here is a few tasters.

3975931181_18a09961f4_o.jpg

3976688302_1b6132d147_o.jpg

This bike was given to the boss of Santa Cruz Skateboard Co by Mike Sinyard himself and is unrestored and tyres apart, is completely original down to cables and brake blocks. I'm just sorting some period amberwalls for it before I get those updated pics.

Cheers
Si

Thats loads nicer than the dale!! Must be nice to have such a large 'reserve' to call upon when you need it :D

pete_mcc":180dsmi4 said:

EDIT, also forgot the introduction of XC Expert which entered below Pro with Sport below that, am I right?..

Sort of ;)

1993 is when XC Expert MD came along, the MD is important btw...

XC Expert MD and XC LTD where in effect the same level, apart from the MD part they shared pretty much the same components, so why they just didn't call it LTD MD other than to phase out the LTD naming I don't know.

Expert was the third in the 'MD' range and LTD was the third in the normal now called 'ATB' size.
Oh and the 1990 catalouge should now be in the archive (with the 1993)

Incidentally there has been mention of LX being bottom of the range, but that would assume that 200gs, 300 LX, 500 LX etc never existed? To my mind the Shimano MTB range began with 200GS and went up from there, making LX firmly "Mid range".

Nah 200/300/400 etc are all learning to ride bikes and ride around town and not for mountains/hillocks.
An 'Mountain Bike' (in my eyes and probably Magazines at the time) would have a Deore or similar other manufacturer components.
Of course this contest does not agree with my eyes ;)

-
Sachs-Hurret info for anyone
SACHS-Huret 1991
Top two would be
New success ATB
Rival 7000 ATB

So Classic 3500 ATB and below should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back