BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
For medical reasons, all my titanium frames only sport v. low-end componentry; so I'll chuck in a 1985 Fuji instead. :D

fujirear4389018fz3.jpg

fuji1816130527ra3.jpg

MadCowKev":ua0a9wxd said:
Pickle":ua0a9wxd said:
1990 Raleigh Mountain Bike Team

Just getting my entry in, proper pics once I've added some grips will follow post weekend.

This and the Merlin demonstrates how 'mid-range' is open to interpretation!

Indeed :LOL:

The only reason I own this is sentimental reasons, it was my first ever MTB.

doctor-bond":389c09pm said:
For medical reasons, all my titanium frames only sport v. low-end componentry; so I'll chuck in a 1985 Fuji instead. :D

fujirear4389018fz3.jpg

fuji1816130527ra3.jpg

Gorgeous! Gets my vote (so far :LOL: )

bushpig":3dlwhlfi said:
What qualifies the Merlin, in my mind, is that the build is original. The owner clearly wanted a really nice ride but didn't want to shell out for the full bling kit. Consequently, it is mid-range, though as can clearly be discussed, it is relative.

Its certainly an interesting bike with some history. Personally I'm all for it to be included in the vote. I'm not sure its a likely vote winner, but BOTM is more about participation than winning in my book. :cool:

andrewl":2x4uflk6 said:
......but BOTM is more about participation than winning in my book. :cool:

it's a bit like participating in F1 in the days of Schumacher, the race is for 2nd place. :LOL:

Newsboy with LX....isn't that kind of like putting the jack ass in the saddle :D

gm hears wrenches flying in basements and garages all over the world as old bike owners panic to switch their XT and XTR bits to STX and LX :D

Ductape":21fodjvo said:
Per Mombat website on Shimano components 1994:

"Deore DX is discontinued as Deore LX takes it's place."

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

Appears to be: Deore 88. Deore 2 89. DX 90, 91, 92, 93. LX 94 forward.

Thoughts.

DX 90, 91, 92, 93 but in 92 XTR came out putting DX in the 3rd from top group, before that it was the midrange group in second place, hence why LX is bottom of the range stuff.
Also when Deore II and XT-II came out (before re-branded XT and DX) XT was the 3rd down the range with Deore 4th :| :LOL:, but I think we're diluting the bike pictures now and it should be taken to another separate thread. Maybe a BoTM chat thread.

Ahh, knew this would cause some debate and discussion.

To deal with a few points raised

-No parts from higher gruppos allowed, i.e. no XT or DX
-Always assumed Deore II and Deore stags head to be equivalent to DX and XT respectively and as such inelligible. Stand to be corrected.
-IIRC suntour order was XC Pro, XC Comp, XCD, certainly early 90s. Any others will be judged as and when entered.
-The Merlin newsboy :LOL: . Thought something like this would crop up. The only criteria we have specified is groupset. As such the Merlin is eligible although perhaps not in the spirit of 'mid range'. When voting please bear the 'mid-range' criteria in mind ;)

Let's see some more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back