Difference between compact and standard drive?

ape

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know this is gonna sound a bit thick but whats the difference between compact and standard drive cranks/chainrings, and how do I know which my crank takes?, is it something to do with the bolt circle?

Yep, and the number of teeth, altough i see you can get XT with 48, 36, 26 rings as well as the 44, 34, 24.

standard drive have a 110 outer PCD and are 5 arm as far as i know
compact drive are 94 outer PCD and can be either 4 or 5 arm

generally the smaller PCD the smaller size rings you can run, hence old cranks running 26-36-48 and newer ones having 24-34-44 or similar, although just to confuse this Suntour microdive had a 20/22t inner (i think)

standard drive also tended to run a 12t at the back, with compact running an 11t (although BITD TNT made a lock ring replacement with an 11t to allow 7spd to be converted to 8spd and run a higher gear)

(that's from menory, so I'm sure there's a mistake there somewhere and someone will correct me!)

Cheers, thanks alot, think mine must be just standard drive then already run the risk of just buying 2 middleburn rings smallest and largest and they seem to fit so need to just find the middle but at least I know its standard I'm looking for now.

Back