19 years later!...and 9 months on!!! (first proper ride!)

Well, I finally got around to re-building my Jamis Dakota :D
After leaving the poor old girl in bits in my damp basement, I decided to get on and get it back riding again.
I think selling my other two rigid bikes (Alpinestars and Fisher) spurred me into action.
Also, I fell upon a great donor bike that made things far easier. I had been holding out on finding a bronze ano Araya RM20 to replace the one missing from the front.
The donor bike had a mint pair of Araya RM25's on it, so I gave up on the RM20 (for now ;) ) and cleaned these up and fitted them.
The frame needed a damn good clean and then a T-cut, which brought the paint work up a treat (where its not chipped, scratched or faded!).
The MT60 U-brake and cantis were taken from the donor (as they were in better fettle than the originals) but the rest is as it was.
I'm going to attempt to re-cover the original saddle, so have just thrown on there what I had kicking around for now.
Took her for a spin around the block an hour ago and took me right back to being 15 again :D

Anyhow, here are some pics ;)

Scrubbed and T-cut...

Jamis001.jpg

Elbow grease!

Jamis003.jpg

Can you 'fillet' ;)

Jamis009.jpg

Minty RM25's

Jamis011.jpg

Back in the great outdoors (well, my driveway!)

Jamis014-1.jpg

The business end..

Jamis017.jpg

Jamis023.jpg

Going to take her for a spin along the beach in a mo, just to see what needs further adustment.
Hoping for a decent afternoon tomorrow, then its off over the Purbecks to re-live my youth :D

Great build! As a fan of all things 'faux' love that fillet work, assume the actual fram is tigged?

John":2v0k009j said:
Great build! As a fan of all things 'faux' love that fillet work, assume the actual fram is tigged?

Think so. The 'filleting' is only around the head-tube area and where the seat tube meets the top tube......

Jamis019.jpg

that is very nice i saw them in the shop back in the days and was stunned
that there where no welds on them so smooth,that was i think in1991 ;)

Took the old girl for a snowy spin around Wareham forest today. I'm ashamed to say that this was the first 'proper' ride on it since I finished the re-build :oops:
Absolutely loved it! For a heavy bike I find it really 'chuck-able'. Really took me back to my youth :cool:
Doing a much longer route in Wareham forest today and cant wait!

Image155.jpg

Latest posts

Back