UPDATE: My car stolen... :-(

extremely unlikely they would have cut another key,i would get it back and also buy the other then sell the old one :)

Or, more sensibly - get it back, change the locks and tell your wife that as she's got of flightly, you only need ONE new bike.

now that thought had occurred to me... :twisted:

...unfortunately we won't be able to afford the bike even if I insisted currently...however I won't forget this one!!

i would get it back and also buy the other then sell the old one
I think that's what I'm going to do...

I would leave the old car in the Police yard. After all you have been through. Get the other car. Your feel so much better

I would leave the old car in the Police yard

Can I do that? It seems unfair coz some scrote has nicked my car that I have to pay £200 to get it released. Realistically once I've fixed it I'll be lucky to get that outlay back if I were to sell it.

What happens if I leave it? Do the police keep chasing me to get rid of it or what?

Found this on a police website:

What happens if I do not contact the recovery operator?

If the police use their powers to recover a vehicle and there is no contact from its owner or last known keeper within seven days of his being notified of its recovery, the police will normally authorise the recovery operator to dispose of it. This can be by sale or by scrapping it. Any profit from the sale is payable to the owner if claimed within a year. A full audit trail for each vehicle recovered is maintained.

I do not want to reclaim my vehicle; do I still have to pay?

If the police used their powers under the Road Traffic Regulation Act to remove your vehicle they are entitled to recover the statutory fees.

If you do not reclaim your vehicle, you may lose your claim to its load, that is any items you had in it, on it, or attached to it. The only items from the load that you can always have back, without payment, are the "essentials of life". These are:

any medicines and medical equipment
financial items such as cash, credit cards, cheque books, pension or benefit books
keys, such as house or shop keys
immediately required outer clothing such as a raincoat or jumper
High value items which you may have had in your vehicle are not included.

Yep crush or sold and plod keep the profit. But one line looks like they can claim expenses from you(they are entitled to recover the statutory fees.) That is the only line that wories me

Back