BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was good timing......just 30 mins ago finished re-building my 1988 Jamis Dakota!
I've got history with this bike (although not this actual one :( ) and will be adding a build thread to readers bikes soon ;) - Link added! http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54171

About the bike... its a 1988 Jamis Dakota with a full 6-speed Deore MT60 groupset.
The wheels are Araya RM25's :cool: shod with Panaracer Timbuk 2 tyres.
Steering is courtesy of Ritchey. The saddle is just some pos I've put on while I attempt to re-cover the original Selle Turbo :roll:

I toyed with having the frame stripped and re-coated, but I searched a long time to find one of these to replace the one I had stolen in 1990, and this one is in a similar condition to how mine was bitd.
For that reason its just had a damn good clean and t-cut. Will be riding this A LOT so wasn't too worried about the finish being perfect.

Some pics

Jamis016.jpg

Jamis014.jpg

I know, I know... 2 pics only.... but check the 'faux' fillet brazing :cool:

Jamis018.jpg

here is my 1993 Kirk, full LX groupset, and tried to get it to original spec
(my new Orbit frame, im working on, will also have 1993 LX spec hopefully)

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,521
andrewl":gup55xit said:
Dr S":gup55xit said:
Just had a look around the old 86 Dale and apart from Deerhead mechs everything else is Suntour Sport. SM600 was mid range so I guess I could sneek in??

There's still plenty of time to hunt down some NOS low end bits to complete the build ;)

No need to hunt, fill yer boots here and be the envy of all your friends:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-Shimano-200-G ... 45ef04965b

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ritchey Aspen

I was curious about the whole dirt drop thing and how fun it was to use in the dirt. Put the Ritchey together as a experiment last spring and it soon became my primary vintage rider. Fun to use, I highly recommend everyone give dirt drops a go.

Is a 90% vintage Shimano DX group with a little bit of new retro (Cane Creek brake levers, On One Midge bars, and Nitto Dirt Drop stem) ok? I always think of DX as being the same as LX just different years?

If it's ok, I will take some better pictures, but for now:

RitcheyAspenDD0001.jpg

Mt Rainier over the bars:

RitcheyAspenride0001.jpg

Cheers,
T

Here's my entry, the only bike I have with a full LX group (though I have an IRD Stroker with a modified LX rear derailleur!)

merlin_newsboy_084_012.jpg

merlin_newsboy_084_013.jpg

I would like to nominate my Dawes Special Edition, no 10 of 250 with a certificate from the managing director of Dawes.

List price in 1994 £499

This was my third MTB bought new on December 31st 1993, I have done many miles on this and it has been through some ghastly incarnations, but i started putting it back together and now it is back to factory specification.

Original STX Special Edition MC31 (one below Deore LX).
No STX-RC in 1994, only STX Special Edition (MC31) and STX (MC30)

More here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4552

The paint is a marmite thing but i love it. :D

PA191269low.jpg

PA191269_2low.jpg

If Deore LX is the highest gruppo we can use for Suntour, then i should be XC Expert as the highest Suntour group which was about the same level. (third down from top at it's highest in the range*)

I'm out though, as my bottom of the range Rocky Mountain still came with DX parts

Having high end or Ti frames with mid-range components does not make a Mid-Range bike (well unless Raleigh built it ;))

LX is low end and bottom of the range stuff not mid-range :?

FluffyChicken":1df0nih6 said:
Having high end or Ti frames with mid-range components does not make a Mid-Range bike (well unless Raleigh built it ;))

I thought that the Merlin Mountain was bottom of the range and XLM top of the range with the Newsboy somewhere inbetween, add in LX and there's a true mid-range bike.

pete_mcc":ec1k9sev said:
FluffyChicken":ec1k9sev said:

I thought that the Merlin Mountain was bottom of the range and XLM top of the range with the Newsboy somewhere inbetween, add in LX and there's a true mid-range bike.

I know nothing of Merlin frames. Just meaning if somebody posts a Kona Hei Hei with LX components on it, I would not call it mid-range, more a mismatch, the frame is high end and the groupset bottom end. It doesn't in my eyes make it mid range bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back