my late 80's pine mountain

Paul20

Retro Newbie
evening all, im a newbie here and heres a pic of my retro bike in a bit of a sorry state after recently being knocked off and bending the forks. i believe its an 89/90 model but not sure. enjoy and all comments welcome.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,460
sorry to hear about you accident mate, do you have plans to get the bike up and running again and are you up and running now too?

I have an old pine mountain (of the gate variety), frame finished in 'primer' grey with day-glo orange forks, stem, bars and decals. I was always told/thought it was an '89?

The decals on your bike are in exactly the same typeface as on mine.
I also notice your frame is lugged so maybe its earlier?

Hope you are ok after your accident, defo build it up again. Nice bike :D

Marin

Hi ya, im by no means an expert and will happily stand corrected, but i have an 1989 Muirwoods which im restoring, and found out a few things along the way.

I understand that the zolatone paint and grey and neon colours came later 90/91, so i think you bike is well before this

I have never seen a lugged Marin Frame in fact, the u brake on the bottom bracket would suggest 84- 88.
I have pictures of unlugged Marins without the oversize downtube from 1987-88 and in neon colours.
however i also understand that the oversize downtube which yours looks like it has came in in 88, perhaps the higher end frames were lugged between 86-88.

Beneandemu or WD pro may know more, but its an interesting bike that you have there.

if i had to have a guess i would say 1987 or 86 pre neon years,lol

cheers for the replies guys. i got away lightly with the accident, no broken bones etc, just aches and pains. the bike didnt sustain too much damage, the bent forks being the main thing and i am after a replacement pair if anyone can point me in the right direction.

the lug work is quite unique and the bike i know was top of the range back in the day. it's tange prestige steel triple butted. colour looks almost metallic. the U brake is not very effective these days and the oversize top/downtube make for a surprisingly nice ride. this bike has had alot of stick and used all year round as a training and commute bike.

this bike actualy used to be my dads but has been passed down. we also used to have the smaller frame of this bike in the family but i grew out of it and sold it on. that too had same lug work but with black decals. dont think there were too many of these made but i know there were 3 originaly sold in my area

i will be stripping it down today to get the frame checked at local bike shop to see if theres any damage before i restore it. more pics to follow

I was wondering when one of these would appear.

So nearly bought one, with the smaller 'Pine Mountain' decals (previous year but largely the same).

Think this is a 1988 one. Could be '89

Great bike. On the cover of bicycle action. Will try and dig out the copy for a scan.

:cool:

found it.

Was the previous year's model to yours, which makes me think that was a 1987 and your's is a 1988. Bear VAlley too was both black with gold decals both years, but 87 had smaller graphics.

:cool:

Attachments

• ba_126.jpg
    ba_126.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,344
cheers for putting that scan up, seems sureal to see pretty much the same bike on the front of a magazine, even if it was 20years ago. lol.

it's possible it could be late 88/early 89 then you reckon? i have nearly all the original gear the bike came with tucked away and i am contemplating returning it to full original condition

I would go with 88 aswell,

from 89 they moved the brakes to the seat stays,

is that the bear valley you were thinking of, this one was on ebay sold as an 86 bearvalley but i think they were wrong and it was really an 88.

oh and heres an 88 pallisades trail without lugs,

and i forgot to say that you may have a few problems getting hold of the spinner forks your after, are yours repairable?

as WD Pro has been after a pair for quite a while now, but he may be the man to speak to to point you in the right direction

charlieboy

Back