B.S.A. Bicycle - how old and how popular?

Landelio

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have a B.S.A. Bicycle (Birmingham Small Arms), and I don´t know anything about it. Many of the B.S.A. was produced in the late 1920´s, so I have read. But how popular is it, and how high are prices?

Thank you for your answer.

/JL

Attachments

• cykel.jpg
    cykel.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8,276
I'm pretty sure it's postwar:
1 Seatstays are brazed not bolted to seatpost
2 Plastic rear light
3 Vinyl topped saddle
4 Sturmey gear lever is a trigger on the bars (squinting at the picture!)

I'd guess it's 1960s. A frame number will confirm. It should clean up nicely, and with a Brooks saddle and grips would really look the part.

IF it's a Sturmey Archer hub gear and IF it's original to the bike that then should give the year and month on the shell!

Value? If it is '60s - and I agree with hamster - then maybe 50-75 quid??

IF it's a Sturmey Archer hub gear and IF it's original to the bike that then should give the year and month on the shell!

Value? If it is '60s - and I agree with hamster - then maybe 50-75 quid??

More pictures - I don´t know your age, but anyone who can remember B.S.A´s from parents or grandparents? I´m just thinking, if it´s a mass produced bicycle easily seen in the streets?

Attachments

• cykelsadel.jpg
    cykelsadel.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 8,238
  • B.s.a..jpg
    B.s.a..jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 8,238
"if it´s a mass produced bicycle easily seen in the streets? "

Well, yes....not as many as Raleigh, but same mass ride to work market. Just that most went to the tip many years ago! Actually, I rather suspect that Raleigh owned the BSA (bicycle) brand post-war.

oldave":2igr7dnu said:
"if it´s a mass produced bicycle easily seen in the streets? "

Well, yes....not as many as Raleigh, but same mass ride to work market. Just that most went to the tip many years ago! Actually, I rather suspect that Raleigh owned the BSA (bicycle) brand post-war.

They did and a lot of the 'sports' bikes were duplicated in both the BSA and Raleigh ranges.

Re: old BSA bicycle

Hi I have just bought an BSA bicycle to restore for my wife and wondered if anyone can help date it? Or can give me any more information and where to find a frame number if there is one, it has Sturney Archer 3 speed gears, it's a dark green and can just make out that there was originally 2 fine gold pin stripes, and looks to have Starlight in gold but again very worn and on the rear mudguard just about the rear reflector another bsa transfer which also has Bosworth Carvele, any info appreciated please message if you want any other info or photos thanks Martin

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_1rsz_received_10156453026718340.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1rsz_received_10156453026718340.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 3,047
Back