Chaser's Saracen Project

Thanks Mikesnowdon,

The bankruptsurplus guys are great... they have ben seeling these frames for a;most a year now... I wonder where they keep getting them from, or maybe they just had one batch which they have listed over a long time eh?

Yes, it was a real nice find, considering you have to pay 300 - 500 pounds to get a decent steel frame new these days... and with the new CEN safety standards they are all being overbuilt and gaining a fair bit of weight. It's going to be hard to find a sub 5lb steel frame soon.

Thanks for vote on the blue anno

:)

Next installment to come soon... when decal arrive.

Cheers,

Chaser

Hey Sinnett...

If I did go anno blue for hubs, headset etc, I wonder how your favorite 1.8's with blue stripe would look?

The only thing that makes me wonder about doing the 'blue' is that when you look at all the old Saracens, they seem to be adorned with lots of silver.

Aaarrgghhh must decide soon as I am holding things up now.. want to get riding :D

Cheers,

Chaser.

Maybe or perhaps some of your favourite Ritcheys in 1.7, they came in blue also. Decisions, decisions eh?

1.7 Z Max in blue :shock:

I did not know they did them!

I'll have to have a search around.

Cheers,

Chaser.

Best pic I could find, from sithlords Ritchey P-20. He only had them on a brief time, hence lack of pictures. Think he sold them on.

P1020426.jpg

chaser":1v40h6s2 said:
The bankruptsurplus guys are great... they have ben seeling these frames for a;most a year now... I wonder where they keep getting them from, or maybe they just had one batch which they have listed over a long time eh?

According to BikeBiz.com Saracen did a trade only warehouse clearance sale at the end of 2006 when they moved from their old Warwick HQ.

I have a feeling that the guys at BankruptSurplus purchased a load of frames there and are drip feeding them onto eBay from a big barn somewhere.

Yes, that makes sense DSP,

I wonder just how many frames etc they had/have?

Here is a pic of the chainset I picked up today... I could not help making a slight 'retro' modification ;)

I think an XT group set is quite apt as the M770 series is the 25th Anniversary of Deroe XT 's introduction.

More to follow.....

[Sorry pic not very good, iphone did not have flash. I still have not figured out how to shrink the file size of the pics from my digital camera]

Attachments

• XT CS.jpg
    XT CS.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 988
chaser":96q4wyyj said:
The Orange R8 was top of the list but when I discovered that the frame weight was over 5.5 lbs due to the new CEN safety standards, I decided to look around.

What's all that about then? Never heard of it...

Love the frame by the way, awesome paint job!

Geoff":qnmnka8x said:
chaser":qnmnka8x said:
The Orange R8 was top of the list but when I discovered that the frame weight was over 5.5 lbs due to the new CEN safety standards, I decided to look around.

What's all that about then? Never heard of it...

Love the frame by the way, awesome paint job!

Thanks... Yes I love the frame colour, especially in the sunlight.

The R8 is the Reynolds 853 hardtail frame from Orange. The CEN standard is a new safety standard which tests the strength of bike frames. A lot of the traditional 'lightweight' frame manufacturers are having to 'beef up' the frames to pass the test. This means added weight :cry:

Back