White Industries stuff love em or loath em?

I loved their nice shiney hubs and cranks, but I always bought British.

I think they went down in some peoples' estimations when they started providing the cranks (hubs too :?: ) for mid-range Marins.
I believe the items fitted to these bikes were of lesser quality (or at least considered so) than their 'bling' after-market counterparts.

^^^

Agree with above. Think they got bought by Marin simetime '95 ish or so. Their lovely cranks which were all cnc before then starting being made by Sugino I think and just became standard forged jobbies. Same with all of the gud uns. Ringle went massively downhill post sunn when all the cost cutting measures came in and robbed the equipment of its beauty. Modern day equivalent seems to be the tune stuff? Never used any WI stuff but mates had hubs and said they were the best they'd ever used. And they were absolutely beautiful - jewel polished. Sooooo pretty...!

Nice stuff, the earlier stuff that is - not the marin gear.

:cool: LMDS gears (Linear Motion Derailleur System ) ➡️

bikeRear_DerailleursAllLinear_Motion_Derailleur_System__LMDS.jpg

apparently difficult to setup but cool looking, always brings good money ont bay

some more info on the nicer stuff they made here ➡️ http://www.allproducts.com/usa/whiteind/showroom1.html

White Industries

Got the original hubs on my Bizango and Julie's Scott; never touched them and they make a lovely loud noise. People kept asking why we had 3speed hubs AND 7 speed blocks!! :LOL:

I had WI hubs. the rear hub used copper leaf springs for the freehub, which were basically sh,te & failed, frequently. bearings werent supported, I had a sleeve made for the axle which massively helped. front hub was pretty much faultless.
I think WI & the oem stuff (by sugino for the cranks) run side by side back then.
so lucky these days that most modern stuff actually works :)

Agree with scant about the hubs... not that I could afford them in the day - the fronts were good and the rears blew up.

The Marin cranks were made by sugino from the same cheese sugino made their other cranks from. The only good sugino cranks were the cold forged mighty 900's which were a funny bronze/gold/silver colour. We warrantied almost all of the sugino cranks that saw real hard use - posers hardly break anything.

The mighty's came on Explosif's and high end Kona's and were very light. I stll managed to bend them but it was a big crash.

Back