Spoke Lengths!

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Guys

I'm about to build a wheel for the first time since i stopped working in bike shops (Shorter Rochford circa 1995) but need some help!

How do i calculate what spoke length i need?

My components are a Tioga (straight pull) front hub and a Mavic 217 SUP rim. They're 32 hole and I'll be building 2X.

Any guidance appreciated.

Use the spoke length calculator on dtswiss.com - it allows you to input your own flange diameters and spacing - you'll have to suck-it-and-see a bit with the measurements for a straight pull but you should be able to work out equivalents from another hub.

Enjoy - I love building wheels :D

thanks Messiah, if you could see the hub you'll understand that there aren't really any comparisons.

MadCowKev":2pr41uqq said:
thanks Messiah, if you could see the hub you'll understand that there aren't really any comparisons.

I'd be interested to see pictures - sounds like a fun little project.

ie - you should be able to measure diameter and displacement from middle of hub spindle approximately for your flanges (ooo er), and add details into DT calc, allow for straight pull effect from where you measure and should get close.

MadCowKev":35f4f6e3 said:

Is it the flangeless one? There's a picture of it in the '95 Mountain Biker Tricknology Guide.

Hi B3 - yes it is the flangeless one.

and thanks Gump/Messiah - looking at DTSwiss.com now

OOoooo super cool retro hub. Some kind of Jonney T connection I remember.
Were there blue ones?

Back