Chaser's Saracen Project

chaser

Senior Retro Guru
I was looking to but a new steel frame to build a nice retro style hardtail..
The Orange R8 was top of the list but when I discovered that the frame weight was over 5.5 lbs due to the new CEN safety standards, I decided to look around.

It was a pure accident that I found a Bankrupt/Surplus stock Saracen frame for sale on ebay for just 14.99! [why pay 500 pounds for a modern frame that weighs more eh?]

I did some research and noted that it was a Saracen Protrax from approx '97

The frame is painted a really deep purple colour and polished up like a mirror!

The frame weighs 4lbs 10oz which is pretty light for a Saracen frame
from the 'sport' range.

The frame looks really well made... just look at the lovely neat welds in the pics below.

According to the catalog I have from '96 the whole frame is Tange cromo, not just the main tubes like on the Terratrax and Tufftrax I think this explains why some of the frames offered from the ebay seller weigh more... I notice that some of the ones on there now are 2.8kg which is well over 6lbs!

I am contemplating the following spec:

Shimano XT drivetrain and V brakes.
Hope blue anno seatclamp, headset, and hubs.
Mavic X717 rims [I have some purple nips that I could use too]
Thomson [silver] seatpost and X2 stem
Ritchey carbon bars
Barends, not sure which yet.
Pace RC31Ti forks
Ritchey Z-Max tyres

Gil is making some decals as we speak, so as soon as they go on I will post another pic. Gil has been really great getting the design just right for the period as he did not have them on file.

What do you guys think about using blue anno parts on this purple frame? Should I go with all silver? not sure which way to go. I am deffo using silver Thomson SP and stem though.

Let me know your thoughts....

Chaser

:D

Attachments

• sara weld.jpg
    sara weld.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,748
  • sar.jpg
    sar.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2,745
Very similar, although looking at the weight I suspect it is a lower model. They quoted weight of mine at 2.2kgs

It also has a canti cable stop on the rear stay and integrated seat clamp.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chaser.

Mobes":10szl7s3 said:

no. the cable stops are different

frame_120.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back