Building a vintage fixed gear

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...without powdercoating it white and running pink rims. Or wearing your sisters jeans.

No. I have an 70s/80s 531 Brian rourke in my size. And a load of mismatched 70s/80s parts. Could be ideal to build and try a fixed gear. Not for jumping red lights but for a bit of winter/autumn training and to gain a little 'suplesse' like the great Edwards.

Any tips? Anyone onde similar? Don't fancy buying a new wheel but is running a track cog on a normal screw on hub suicide. Sheldon Brown seemed happy with it....

I ran suicide for months with no problems.

Haven't got a fixie any more and am really missing it, so much so that I would like to convert my 86 Panasonic Raleigh. Love the simple, clean lines and lightweight of a fixie not to mention the riding experience itself, although it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

What advice do you seek exactly?

I've heard of an item called a track adaptor which screws on to a screw on hub and moves the sprocket out if you know what I mean.

Tel":37l2z6k6 said:
I ran suicide for months with no problems.

Haven't got a fixie any more and am really missing it, so much so that I would like to convert my 86 Panasonic Raleigh. Love the simple, clean lines and lightweight of a fixie not to mention the riding experience itself, although it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

What advice do you seek exactly?

Just interested to see what others had done. And also to get first hand experience of running a track cog on a regular screw on hub - all very well reading it's fine on the interent but it doesn't always speak the truth!

Oh. Well like I said I ran it for months without any issue although the thought of it unscrewing was often at the back of my mind. When I changed it to a proper fixed wheel I felt much more confident but it performed no differently. So really a proper wheel just gave me piece of mind.

I doubt it'd be suitable but you can get a new fixed wheel on Ebay for £40 delivered now.

Tel":2ccimm3m said:
Oh. Well like I said I ran it for months without any issue although the thought of it unscrewing was often at the back of my mind. When I changed it to a proper fixed wheel I felt much more confident but it performed no differently. So really a proper wheel just gave me piece of mind.

I doubt it'd be suitable but you can get a new fixed wheel on Ebay for £40 delivered now.

know what you mean, hence asking.

Just seen to £40 deal, maybe I'll just do that, proper job and all...

At the very least, you should use an old English BB lockring which will screw straight on. You really don't want the thing unscrewing. If you're planning doing ace skids while wearing Frogskins and a Campagnolo hat with no brakes then I'd do it properly :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a pair of ambrosia fixed wheels flip/flop hub if your interested.

Latest posts

Back