De Rosa respray or not ???

uptheswa

Retro Newbie
Hi I have just purchased a De Rosa which I reckon is late 80's or early 90's. It is Columbus SLX New tubing and has diamond shape seatstays. The frame has no dents but numerous paint chips and scratches and the previous owner has touched many of these in, not a good match as he has used a much darker colour of blue. Also, the chrome forks have been painted grey as he said the chrome was hard to keep clean and was pitting. Now while I am happy with the bike as it is, should I consider a respray. Will a respray take away from the bike in terms of value and desirability ? If i should go for a repray would a powder coat be OK or should i get it enamel painted. Anyone know where to get original De Rosa transfers if I go ahead. Any advise or experince you can share would be much appreciated, this is the first time I have considered such a job.

Thanks

Post pics!

It really depends on the actual condition and paintwork. It would be quite possible to remove the poor touch ups using t-cut or similar and re do using model paint to a higher standard. You could also have the forks rechromed.

If you do go for a spray cyclomondo does indeed seem to have the vintage road decasl sewn up, link to his store > http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Cyclomondo__W0QQ_armrsZ1

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'd say a powder coat job would devalue the frame. IMHO Payout for a proper stove enamel job if you're going to get it refinished.

go for a nice new paint job. Stickers should be from gil_m on this site

thanks for the link to ciclomondo, they certainly have a lot of good decals, and i will have a closer look if i decide to respray

also, might check with gil_m

i suppose i am trying to figure out should i get a respray so that the frame will look its best, or should i leave alone and touch in the other little chips that are not yet touched in

i would be happy to ride the frame as it is, i suppose i never was very particular about having a nice looking bike, more about having a ride riding bike, so it does not worry me to ride as it is, while i know others that certainly would just have to have it resprayed

from another aspect, would the frame be worth more as it is, original paint with chips and all, or would it be worth more with a nice new shiney paintjob

also, should i strip the paint on the forks back to the chrome, and leave the chrome on the forks and chainstay even though it is pitting, or should i remove the chrome if i am painting and just paint both frane and forls one colour

i guess what i am asking here is for different opinions......if you just bought this bike, what would you do with it ???

[/img]

Attachments

• PA280828.jpg
    PA280828.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2,179
  • PA280829.jpg
    PA280829.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,179
  • PA280831.jpg
    PA280831.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,179
  • PA280832.jpg
    PA280832.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,179
more pictures....

Attachments

• PA280833.jpg
    PA280833.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,177
  • PA280834.jpg
    PA280834.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,177
  • PA280835.jpg
    PA280835.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,177
i would say get it painted, but do it the same, exactly the same.

i know some people like the war wounds of chip marks sustained over a bikes life but i like my stuff to look mint, then when it doesn't after a few years i get stuff done again! :LOL:

de rosa bike are nice machines and deserve to look their best :D

ok, let me put out a few more thoughts here

if i will renovate this frame, do i have to get the forks and stay re-chromed to keep the frame correct to original, or is it ok to get refinished one colour paint only - no chrome ?

how do i get the painter to get the right colour, they would probably be able to colour match if i keep the same colour blue, but i really like De Rosa reds and would like to find a colour chart that could be used....or does it have to be "proper" De Rosa colour ?

i am thinking here not only to keep the project on line with what De Rosa buff's would do, but also to ensure that any future value has not been deminished by improperly re-finishing this frame

i mostly use bob jackson for resprays but the paint might not be as tough as the original, although i bet they can get it looking just right. oh and i think they can mask over the chrome, i've had my cougar painted twice after originally buying it and they just masked the chrome.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

Back