1991 Zaskar - Rebuild

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Just joined this website and I thought I'd put my two retro steeds on here to show them being done up and hopefully get some advice!

This one's a 1991 Zaskar - always wanted one of these but in 91 my budget only stretched to a Townsend, not sure which one but it was pink and white! (Good bike and lots of happy memories though so can't complain too much!)

This one came from e-bay from a chap that had used it for commuting on for the past 10 years until everything seized up or dropped off! Not sure of its history before that. Frame is straight and crack free but has had a new gear hanger bodged on to it - just a war wound though.

The plan is to do it one up with period XT as I can find it for non-stupid prices and the manitou 1's that cam with it. These need some TLC - anyone know where I can get new seals/elastomers from?

Anyhow here's the pics for now, any advice on polishing the frame much appreciated!

Cheers

[/img]

Attachments

• DSC_0213.jpg
    DSC_0213.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2,990
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,990
  • DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,990
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2,990
Nice one :cool: all the making of a cool solid build. It'll be nice to see one without rock shox. I think you can get speed springs for manitou forks but theres plenty guys on here much better equipped to tell you all about them. Looking forward to this one :)

That looks ace :cool: , as far as i know the original elastomers are hard to get for Manitous, there are some replacements for sale on the bay but not sure about the quality, as Kaiser said you can get spring kits for them also on E-bay, i used Wings springs in the Manitous i had, worked pretty well.

The wet and dry and Autosol should get it looking nice but i've found Brillo soap pads (used wet) work great, i think these are the equivalent of 1500 grit.

Gil-m on here should be able to do original spec stickers for the frame too, being a 91 i think it should have the large ZASKAR on the downtube.

thanks for the advice - I'll look up the springs and the brillo pad will be trialled tomorrow.

I think I have a set of stickers for it - I say think as they turned up wrapped in some cardboard and the Mrs thinks she may have 'recylced' them........................... :cry:

good choice in frame :cool: i sold my 91 zasker a while ago and wish i never now :roll: is that a replacable rear mech hanger ? mine did'nt have one of them :?

i love these bikes , keep us updated on the build please :D :D :D

Re: Elastomers

Aaldert":1j3q0bvu said:
Hi,

I recently was looking for Rock Shox elastomers when I found the following online shop, they sell Manitou parts also.
https://suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=17

I is as nice frame, but it will take a wile polishing :)
Good luck with it.
i second this site.....just renovated a pair of manitou 1 forks with a kit from this site......took a while as they are in america but was worth the wait.......

Is it U-brake version? If you don't have U-brake bolts that could be a issue... good luck with the project.

Chaps,

Thanks for all the advice, amazing in less than 48hrs. I will try the website for elastomers.

The gear hanger is an emergency 'add-on' - the old one was probably bent/snapped so it'll be 'non-mint' on completion of the resto, unless I can find/afford a coded welder (& some 6061 T6 sticks!) - if the gears align I won't bother.

I am lucky to have two set of UII brakes - if these are hard to come by then please let me know and I'll pass on bits for postage cost only to anyone that wants them to do up a mtb.

Thanks again

Adrian

Latest posts

Back