94 Klein Quantum Pro Coral Reef Completed!!! Pg5

I am reconsidering. I've been reconsidering since bwhsh8r brought the frame to my attention :p It's my size too... But in all honesty, the condition is great and I don't think the asking price is outrageous but building it up with the parts it deserves will easily triple the price and I just don't have that kind of money :(

PIGEON":29bvnmvp said:
I am reconsidering. I've been reconsidering since bwhsh8r brought the frame to my attention :p It's my size too... But in all honesty, the condition is great and I don't think the asking price is outrageous but building it up with the parts it deserves will easily triple the price and I just don't have that kind of money :(

Meh, i have 794 british pounds in mine without the frame and fork, including 61 british pounds in wrong seatpost clamps for every part on mine, including full titanium bolteset, the wheelset, the 100pound headset tools i bought off a dealer, the wrong headset bearings that the shop made me eat the cost of. Thats with shipping to the usa on all the parts alot of new parts and paying the shop to build it all up. And considering (at least here) the cycling season ended, the parts should drop in price.

& yeah, for 49 pounds i thought it was going to be all dinged up and stuff, but its in quite good knick. The person who sold it made no mention of posessing the fork or anything, and was selling it for $usd 50, so i enquired about teh fork and he wanted 25$ usd for it and didnt have $5 change, i took it anyways. he threw in the mc2 stem and a bontranger rear hub (Anybody want that btw..... I have no use.)

and yes the price made me think it may have been stolen for that very reason, i see pos Ross fixed gears with weinnman deep v wheels trying to be sold for $500+ (rediculous) but they guy was like 30-35 years old, and I havnt heard anything about it being stolen from any of the bike shops....

that and I could have done it cheeper if i had been a little more flexible with my build, and a little more price conscious, but i knew what parts i wanted and i knew that i wanted them asap. cant blame a man :oops:

so more like double if you dont know what your doing :)

Sorry Pigeon for mentioning that frame, but i had to!! its dancingjacks thread and hes my buddy! :) that and for a NOS frame i find that to be quite reasonable.

&HAHAHHA @ dancingjack for the i dont want to know... i tell people the same damn thing. But then i added it up for pigeon so he can get a good idea. i find it rude or boastful to tell people who im talking to the prices unless they ask. I will brag about the quality of the bike to them though :D

I am waiting on the other titanium seatpost (well... I am waiting and debating weather or not to order another, but sounds like i need to... but this thudbuster is comfortable, but the ******* thing moves from side to side as well.... pos)

It was payday today and i have to fix my car, but i might let myself indulge in one bike part :twisted:

I wound up mounting my Avocet 45tt that i cut off my slx steel road bike, the buttons dont function but barely (i know how to fix it, add some stuff under the button) but i really do love these computers, but they are out of business (pretty much) im still trying to find a cadence adaptor for one. Ill switch to a different computer after i help out with my bills on my car and my fillings for my teeth (two more cavities woooohooooo)

They are some oldschool - ish HED. CX wheels, structural carbon fiber 65mm deep and tubular, and are laced to 36 hole ultegra 600s (ugh dont buy tubular. i learned that lesson the hard way.... but after going from their max rated of 170-220, yes ive popped alot of tires... to 120lbs of pressure they SEEM to be more puncture resistant.... but ill let you know after ive ridden them more. i gave up on the tubies until the klein was finished.) they have a bit of a dent in the braking surface on the back wheel that makes it grab down every revolution, but i mostly use my front brake anyways so its all good. I paid $250 usd for them, but would like to soon upgrade to dura ace hubs so they spin longer.

and MANN thats rediculous with those zipps, especially considering the price tag on them!!!! The fsa + the ybn chain shifts like butter, so that alleviated my worries. Now all i have to do is hope that the pedal inserts stay bonded and im set!

im happy to see that your klein is coming along well, and im sure that those record cranks wont be quite the bitch that those zipps are being to you. p.s. just noticed the ringle bottle holder, i wanted one/ almost bid on one, but blue doesnt quite suit my build. (no im not color blind... that was the color of the cage that i almost bid on) and + the ringle skewers and the srp bolts really really put this bike just a little bit above, know what i mean?

if only i could write this much this easily on school projects (well... more like motivate myself to do it.... and its never as easy!!). then maybe id get good grades haha

Shamus":1zs6hze9 said:
Oh wow!
I only now found this topic... :shock:

That is going to be stunning bike!

Thank you Shamus.

I am just waiting for the front deraileur to arrive from US and then fix it up. Just got some cables and white cable housing. I think it will be stunning as well. It should be up and running in less than a week or so. I can't wait as well!!!

;)

Your bike is a lot cheaper than what I have accumulated till date but I've found my fair share of good deals here and there. So what am I complaining for? I think eBay's my best friend at this moment!

But on a serious note, I am a firm believer on building my bike to the best I can afford and then leaving it alone. There is really no point constantly upgrading and trying to keep up with the trend. Guess it's through my fair share of experience and mistakes made in the past.

No worries man. I believe in being honest and letting Pigeon be aware of what's to come. Remember what goes around comes around? I don't want anything bad to come back my way!

Somehow, your wheels look very good with the whole set-up. I'm not usually a high-profile wheel person. I have got two pairs of wheels at the moment. A pair of Campagnolo Proton and a pair of handbuilt(Campagnolo Record, DT Comp, Ambrosio Chrono F20 Tubular). Simply bomb proof wheels I must say.

If Zipp's not doing anything for me, I will chuck my crankset aside and find something else to replace them. Nothing in mind at the moment but I'll just browse around.

Thank you for all the compliments. I will post my two road bikes up as soon as I can. I am really eager to build them all up at once but I think it'll be wiser of me to slow it down as the expense is giving me a big headache especially when I am suppose to save!!!

Hope you'll have a great week ahead!

I estimated a little on the high side, but the real reason i think it looked so cheep in pounds was because of the fact that the us dollar is weak compared to the pound right now...
I could have bought a car with the $ ;)

I believe the same about the component selection, I almost went full ultegra but decided to just bite the bullet as they say....plus I am a big old bike snob haha. I skimped on the ultegras I guess but at 1/3 the price and all of 15 grams heavier I think im alright there... and the zero / negative g's were slightly out of my pricerange for my goal of getting the bike done for a local race. I am happy with the price I paid, even though I still wonder if i could have bought a nicer new bike or modern bike for the price.

but glad your honest all the same, i respect that alot! I am quite sure your build has a few more $$ in it :) and im sure the right buyer will come around soon enough. I was just saying that a good build can be done for (sort of ish...depending on your definition) reasonable if you have the patience and time.. Mine took just about a year to do up. My dad thinks i have more in it....

& thanks for the compliment on the wheelset. The deepest wheels I had prior to these were some campy omega strada hardox, apparently laced up in 1989 because its the one year that it had a uniglide screw on instead of a casette in 8 speed dura ace group. Theyre pretty heavy and arent very aero lol. I think the deep dish heds work on this bike just because 1 they complement the other cf bits, 2 they are black, 3 the rest of the bike is completely oversized so it looks kind of... oddly proportionate. I just bought em because I thought they were a good deal at teh time, and theyre really blingy haha. what can i say i was trying to be at least a little flashy with it ! Im glad you approve of my deep wheels though, beause i was about to try and look for a set of regular rims.... might still get a different wheelset one of these days. Do you like the Ambrosio rims?

Im grumbling between another titanium seatpost or a carbon one, but im kind of leaning towards titanium just because i can see myself over tightening it.....

Thanks and you to ! If i get the motivation togeather ill probably ride a bit tomorrow, but its quite cold and I have to do a humanities project :'(

I guess I have to graduate from college eventually anyways....

just went on a ride and during the ride apparently i hit something pretty hard (i was flying) and knocked the wheel out of alignment, and yeah so iguess the aero part of my wheel was rubbing on the left stay the whole way home... just found that, taped it up but i think the klein paint won, because it seemed like there was just black left on the stay.... just wiped off clearcoat of the wheel in places as far as i can tell.... idk how bad it is but i just put it under electrical tape centered the wheel and walked away :shock:

but yeh.... not all that big of a deal, you cant see it with the wheel on or anything.... just wonder how bad it is, the rear dropouts are qute the pain...

Ouch! Sounds like a bad day for you man. I don't ride my bikes as hard as I used to around 4 years ago. Back then, I had all the guts in the world and had no commitment to worry about. These days, I just want to enjoy my ride and go home in one proper piece.

I love the Ambrosio rims. They're lovely and extremely durable. Unfortunately, because of the ultra low profile rim, finding spokes would be quite difficult as you're need extremely long spokes which not all bike shops would store.

I used to over screw all my parts up. I guess through time and experience, you'll eventually know how much to tighten. If you end up going for the carbon one, here a tip for you. Use your thumb and put it on top of the allen key(closest to the screw),use it as a pivot and only push the longest side of the allen key with your index finger. Know what I mean? :)

Let me know how it goes!

hahaha yes and no, only because of the fact that I figured otu some dirt got in one of the spoke nipples or something and thats whats been causing the tic tic tic tic tic every wheel revolution only when im on the bike..... so thats cool, and the chainstay honestly didnt look all that bad (i dont think) I just really dont want to know....

And I usually err on the side of undertightening (as I may well have done with the quickrelease on the back wheel) but Im just worried about that One time i accidentally put it in just a weee bit too tight. I got rid of the alen key seatpost collar and have a hope on the quantum and the bontranger on the attitude.

speaking of those seatpost collars ill go take a picture and pm you after i go ride (just got out of class you know... gotta ride off all that pent up energy)

but yeah, itake it in stride, theyre daily riders so i gotta get over it sometime.... that and even if i effin trash it and have to buy a new frame.... i only spent $80 on it.... i guess i really shouldn't care so much if the paint gets knackered

Ill shop around for some rims but ill keep those in mind, id probably order the spokes offline / try and lace them myself. even if not the local bike shops i have access to are quite well stocked and some are quite specialty (im fortunate enough to live in a area well stocked... my lbs ordered me those klein mc2 headset press thingies that customers werent supposed to buy for example, so i have that toolset)

Your wheel now sounds like a Nintendo Wii!!! Everytime you shake it, it makes noise! :twisted: I think you should strip the tires off and try to shake it out. I think it's worst for tubular than for clinchers.

There're quite a few nice stuffs around so search for them. I really wish I could use the old Campagnolo Shamals. They look simply gorgeous especially the silver ones! But from what I've read till date, they can't seem to work with a 10 speed drivetrain. So if you are still on 9 speed, grab those SOB wheels man!

I'm still waiting for my stuffs to arrive and am getting pretty annoyed to be honest. I guess I'll give it another few more days and if it doesn't arrive, I'll message the seller and see what he/she says.

How's your bike going?

Back