£26.00 of tatty happiness (Muddy Fox content)

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, see my other thread in MTB Chat for the bigger picture on this one, but here's the initial stage of a project that will bring together both me and my first ever mtb and my first ever mtb and it's brothers and sisters.

:D

Scored two 1987 Couriers this week. Will aim to make that three by the end of the weekend.

Here's the first. A 1987 Courier with a twist. It has the 1988 decals. This was available as a few of the last '87 ones were rolled out with the new graphics. So rare in a not very rare or interesting kind of a way. :LOL:

I remember when I bought my 1987 Courier from FW Evans in Kingston in October 1987 as they were running them out to make way for the new swanky lavender and pearl white fade u-braked 1988 model. As it was both £29.00 more and effectively purple, I declined the wait and went for the all white run out model. But I kind of preferred the newer plain black bigger decals.

When I saw an all white '87 with '88 decals out in Richmond Park one day I was gutted. That would have been the ideal scenario for me. Oh well, one day...

...that day was Oct 23rd 2009.

Here she is. £26.00 of rust and dirt and nostalgia and smiles.

More pics as I restore her as much as is possible.

:D

Attachments

• Paw.jpg
    Paw.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,144
  • Fox1.jpg
    Fox1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,143
  • Fox3.jpg
    Fox3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 3,142
  • Fox2.jpg
    Fox2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 3,141
£26 is a steal :shock:

Cant beat the feeling of getting your first MTB back. I still smile every time I pop in the shed and see my Raleigh MTB Team sitting there ;)

Good score Gus. Looks like it might be reasonable under the sh1t. Look forward to the project progressing.

Result :cool: , Muddy Fox's are great old machines that were built to last, My dad picked up an 88 explorer in yellow for £26 and wont stop riding it !, even though its slightly gate-ish it rides like a smaller bike.

Look forward to seeing the collection ;)

The next one arrives Tues. Looks like it may well be great condition, so fingers crossed.

Third one will be my original first mtb. The actual one. Going to be absolutely rough I imagine as I seem to remember the last thing I did to it before giving it away to a chap that has left it in a shed 300yds from the seafront on the south coast ( :oops: ) for the last 11 years, was trying to get the knackered bb out with a hammer. :oops: :oops: :oops:

we'll see.

At least it will be somewhat buildable to complete the holy trinity. :cool:

And the bonus....there's a bag of old tat I left with it in that shed. That probably still contains the 1988 and (rarer) 1986 MF disc wheel covers I had.

:cool:

Really cool bike, definitely like the idea of you getting a fleet of them together.

Cool bikes these...a buddy had a few of these...I always like the leather seat with the little fox paws on..
J

Shes a beauty!

Frame looks a little like my massif frame - with those collar thingames where the weld joints would normally be.

I remember mates owning muddy foxes when I was young. All our bikes took loads of abuse aroung the local quarries. None of this full suspension downhill giant-forked nonsense everyone rides these days.

Back