Modding a computer

Sorry i just cant help but feel computer case modding should only be done by those who drive a 1L Nova with 19" alloys and the wing of a 747 attached to the back.

my little ibook and shuttle desktop keep me in a neon free computing environment :p

gave up on desktops years ago,nice laptop down the side of the sofa,far more marriage friendly!! have just ordered 2gig ram for it though :cool:

mattpayne":3vfhm9ex said:
no server! its a deskside workstation! :) a Silicon Graphics Onyx IR this particular model, which is maxed... was the most powerful deskside computer money could buy in the world!! :shock: the 2 processor model with less ram was $330,000!!!!

part of my retro computer collection... this particular machine was used by DERA (Defence Evaluation and Research Agency) for testing and developing advanced radar for the Tornado! my other SGI's have come from Arrows F1 Design and another from DERA...

A defence research building was the last place I saw one working....

never missing the chance to pimp my computer!! :D here are a few more pics of the highlights...

the cardset in the machine...

onyx1.jpg

2gig of ram!!! and my SGI Indigo2 High impact

onyx_mem2.jpg

the Arrows F1 Octane V6grafix, 2gig ram - cost more than a 3 Series when new!! :D

octane.jpg

the inside!

octanecpu.jpg

SGI LCD monitor... 1600x1024 17.5" :) £3k monitor!!!! :shock:

1600sw1.jpg

and the desk.... :) although it now sports 2 20" CRT's

desk.jpg

:) although... Apple Lisa!!! :notworthy: :D

Matt,

I have always used computers at home and at work (Chief Officer, Merchant Navy) like tin openers. A tool for a job but they have never intersted me, hence my Avent Laptop.

However, just the sheer scale and complication of it I am impressed. We use less than 1% of that kit to run electronic chart sytems and radar's...

I think what I am trying to say is, :cool:

SGI the badgers nadgers.

Problem is though, I couldn't work out a way of running vectorworks on one...

Dar Kuma,

The PSU is a modular by X-connect, nice thing about it is you dont have lost of wires everywhere and means the case stays cooler as the air flow through the case is better, you can pick them up one ebay dirt cheap.

In my new machine i use a modular PSU also , again to keep it cool as i am overclocking it to get more proformance out of it and therefore needs to be kept cool.

I say if you have loads of bits of computers littering your office and taking up space in draws and they all work together and build a new machine that allows you to look at retrobike a bit quicker than the last compuer , its all good .

I am for ever having to build newer , faster , better machines to keep up and run the software i use for 3D modeling for work, it is what I do to bring in the pennys and pounds to buy bits to build retro bikes (ends to a means i say)

If you have spare bits build them up and make use of them rather than binning ,its better than wasting money on new kit when you have it sitting doing nothing

I thinkits in a similar vein of retro bike , make use of bits that are spare and make something new and individual)

I understand my Pc is not to everyones taste but mine is a bit tounge in cheek to the real computer pimp boys who are deadly serious with it.

I dont spend much on my home PC's but why not pimp it if it costs bugger all when you buy bits on ebay, i think that machine cost me about £50 and most of that went on the case and PSU !.

Another thing on an ecological stand point , it saves money on energybills and the saves the environment when you computer case is the light source in your office.( thats my argument on the UV lighting anyway :LOL: )

I have at least toned it down of recent, on impulse late one night i bought a set of tri colour fans for it, but even i admit it was a bit too much and replaces them with low noise fans!

the whole customising your assets is what retrobike is all about , who has built thier loved steeds on here with stock parts , we all like a bit of bling here?

Surely making something of your computer is no different , maybe there is room for some anodised aluminium bolts in the computer too!

Do you think SRP do a computer lightnig kit?

we each have something... I've just watched a documentary tonight about obsessives of world championship hairdressing... WTF?! (don't misconstrue - I ain't into that!)

spline72":11oxtu5a said:
Dar Kuma,
maybe there is room for some anodised aluminium bolts in the computer too!

thats what ive been looking for, some anodised bottle cage bolts in anodised yellow for the front panel,
the computer im modding at the moment is slowly going to be turned into a small shuttle type case, i did some filing earlier and that was about it so not really much progress with it yet as i need to get some aluminium L plate and a couple of pieces of aluminium sheet to refabricate the rear panel for the IO ports

Latest posts

Back