Computer upgrading

dyna-ti":p12tclzf said:
In case it hasnt been mentioned but a 32 bit system will only handle 3 GB of ram,above that needs a 64 bit

32-bit systems really struggle with larger amounts of memory like this (even accepting PAE).

On a user desktop PC, the 3GB switch can make a difference, though. The normal 2GB / 2GB for user / system usage, when upped to 3GB in favour of user programs can be of some use - as always it depends.

If you've got a memory heavy program that wants to use above 2, and you use it that way, using 3GB switch can be most useful. In other scenarios it's normally a balancing act between doing that, and taking the hit on PTEs.

As a generalism, though, for a normal desktop PC, if you've got 4GB RAM installed, it's unlikely for Windows to be able to use all of it (you'll likely see a loss, for the reasons descibed in the page linked. And if you use very memory intensive apps, that may well like to go above 2GB, and your machine doesn't run oddles of processes or other things (so really, one big monolithic app that really digs memory) then the 3GB switch can be useful.

Cheers for all the replies folks, going to go down the more memory route and windows 7. I'll get a new monitor then investigate the blu-ray/graphics card side :) Don't want to over complicate things as it'll probably be only for a couple of years and I'll go for a new PC.

kaiser":2amceg4r said:
Cheers for all the replies folks, going to go down the more memory route and windows 7. I'll get a new monitor then investigate the blu-ray/graphics card side :) Don't want to over complicate things as it'll probably be only for a couple of years and I'll go for a new PC.

Honestly I wouldn't waste your money.

Unless you can get very cheap DDR (PC2700/3200) memory it's a big waste of money. Though there should be loads lying around, probably in skips. I'll see what I have upstairs but a feeling it'll be 512MB stick at the most, though if you can fit 2 of them that'll put you up to 2GB and is more than you'll need.
You'll honestly not see much improvement going any higher.

+1 for going to the Crucial website and running their memory selctor

You may have to "ditch" the ram in the PC already to fit a matched 2x 2Gb set to get best performance. (maybe offer the spare up as karma + postage on here)

My PC even @ 32 bit does recognise the full 4Gb depends on the board etc, so it is worth it.

Had an email from crucial which says 4Gb is the _minimum_ for Windows 7...... I'd hold off W7 for six months at least to let the first wave of bugs to be found and hopefully fixed.

Cheers M.

FluffyChicken":w25v9x6t said:
kaiser":w25v9x6t said:

Honestly I wouldn't waste your money.

Unless you can get very cheap DDR (PC2700/3200) memory it's a big waste of money. Though there should be loads lying around, probably in skips. I'll see what I have upstairs but a feeling it'll be 512MB stick at the most, though if you can fit 2 of them that'll put you up to 2GB and is more than you'll need.
You'll honestly not see much improvement going any higher.

Too late I picked up a 2gb stick yesterday from the local computer guy. He did talk me out of Windows 7 though. I've ordered a new monitor too and will investigate the card/blu-ray bit at a later date.

The best thing I did was an LGF tip and ran the msconfig and stopped most of the crap from loading at start up.

Back